We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone plans for travelers.

Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
cell phone plans for travelers.

Hello. I want to take my android phone to BA and use it for data/text/sending pictures. Is it possible to get a pay as you go sim card/plan? How much can I expect to pay? Thanks.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

Yep. You can get a SIM card at Movistar or Personal. They even have the new Iphone 5 nano-SIM cards. I went last month and paid a 120 peso plan that was supposed to give me unlimited data, texts and phone calls. I used it VERY heavily and the text/data I didn't have problems with other than it was slow. But good enough for emails, surfing around and Google Maps. But the 14 day or so, the phone calls wouldn't work as it said I was out of credits so obviously the sales person that said it was "unlimited" was wrong.

But I went last year with my friend and he just got a normal SIM card for his Iphone 5. It was a Movistar SIM card. He used this template to cut it down - http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/

And it worked perfectly. He was only charged 1 peso a day for data. It was a Movistar SIM card.

2. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:52 pm, April 30, 2013
Edited: 6:52 pm, April 30, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

Yep, you should get a Claro chip, their data speeds are the best. And it's the cheapest of the 3 carriers.

They also have the 1 peso per day plan

Sorry about the last post, the tripadvisor app doesnt like my phone :p

Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

Thanks for the tips!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

All of the mentioned data plans are great options. Just remember that you'll more than likely need to unlock your phone for it to accept one of those SIM cards. Just Google your phone make and model number with the words "unlock code" and you should find plenty of helpers across the Internet. Enjoy your trip!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

Or he can ask his carrier for the unlock code, they usually give it out free if you say that you need it unlocked for travel

Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

Thanks Gypsy and Alan. I knew I'd have to unlock my phone, but didn't know until recently that it will cost me! My carrier wants $50 Canadian to unlock my phone for 12 days. I looked at some websites who want between 15-50 dollars for the code. My carrier will also void my warranty if I unlock it with someone else! Looks like it will cost me about $80 to use my phone in BA by 'properly' unlocking it and going with a pre-paid plan when I'm there.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

What kind of phone do you have? When did you buy it? Funny they would "void the warranty" if you unlocked it.

I have a Blackberry from TMobile that was new. TMobile wouldn't provide the unlock code so I paid $1.50 on Ebay for the unlock code and unlocked it instantly.

The phone broke so it had to be covered under warranty and they had NO clue at all it was unlocked. Most of the people at the retail centers are totally clueless and I doubt they would check if the phone was unlocked or how you unlocked it.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
27 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

You are lucky to have an Android for this trip. I found that although I easily and cheaply got a sim card for my BlackBerry that allowed phone use, none of the three Argentine carriers will allow you a BlackBerry contract to that for one week you can have full connectivity. This was very frustrating when I want to "talk" to a shop keeper (using Google translate) who did not have Wi-Fi for me to use. My BB had been previously unlocked and it cost me 30 pesos for the sim card (at a Personal store). I then went and put 25 pesos on the account .... which I had to do at a Drug Store of all places! I just made a few local calls but wanted the ability to call home in case of emergency. The rate for calls to Latin America/USA was 1.90 peso/minutes and the rest of America (ie. Canada) 2.10 peso/minute. Hope this helps prepare a BB user that is heading to Argentina.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phone plans for travelers.

I bought a Movistar SIM for my Android for $15 pesos. I paid another $35 pesos for credit. I got text messaging and phone to work, but never got data to work. I went to 4 different Movistar locations and they all sent me to a different location to fix it. I finally gave up on the data.