We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

My wife and I are traveling to Buenos Aires and I have seen that bike lanes are being expanded throughout the city (…buenosaires.gob.ar/red-de-ciclovias-protegi…) and it seems like it could be useful. I have also found a company that has bike rentals for a week at a time (la bicicleta naranja). I am trying to find out if it is realistic to bike around the city as a mode of transportation or not, also if the hotels would allow for keeping the bike with us wherever we end up staying. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Driver BA
Taxis & Shuttles
Buenos Aires Taxis - City Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Linea A Subte
Taxis & Shuttles
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

When you arrive, if you want to try a bike ride then rent one to see how you like the city environment from a bicycle. Even with the bike lanes, the city is not a good place for riding a bike. There are some areas which are good and weekends are better with less traffic.

The buses in the city spew the worst air and the auto drivers are the worst in the world.

Take a sample first before committing to a full week on the bike.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

You can also try for free the public bikes , just with printing the form and with a photocopy of your passport.

…buenosaires.gob.ar/sistema-de-transporte-pu…

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

Thanks for the replies and invaluable information.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

Hi, we lived near the parks in Recoleta and often saw people in groups on the orange bikes. They wear helmets and stay in a group and had a guide , it all looked safe and fun.

If I were to do something like this- I would try them.

Just remember, cars do not take care when people who walk or ride bikes get on their streets so always be careful and very aware of traffic lights and cars etc.

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

Scarlett....welcome back I really missed you ..Irish

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

Oh irish, thank you !

I was missing everyone here too :)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

Can tourists obtain the right to rent the orange bikes within a brief period of time?

8. Re: Riding Bikes in Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 22, 2014