We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

We arrive in Sth America on 10 April have a flight booked from Santiago to Buenos Aires, stay the night, then had a flight booked on the 11 April to fly to El Calafate to join a Glacier Cruise on 12 April.

LAN has moved our flight from 11 April to 10 April and it leaves before our flight gets into Buenos Aires. They have a flight on 12 April but it arrives at El Calafate 2 hours after the ship sails.

I don't know if LAN has cancelled the flight or over booked it. I can't phone them for another 13 hours when they open here in Australia.

Can anyone give me some advice on what happens in this case.

Do LAN give me a refund and do I book a flight with Aerolineas Argentinas which has a flight on the 11 April? Do I phone LAN and hopefully get back on the flight if it has not been cancelled?

I am sooooo stressed as this cruise is the highlight of our trip.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as we need to make this cruise.

Thanks

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Pamies:-)

So happy that you have come through this and things are now looking good. I don't know much about Australian politics but I venture to say you could accomplish more in one week as PM than anyone :-)

A great safe trip to you. Irish

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

So sorry I guess I spoke too soon. Irish

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

After 6 months fighting LAN Airlines to get the money they owe me for cancelling our flight they have finally paid me but it took a stern letter setting out the legal procedures I was going to take through the Australian courts to recover what they owed us. Luckily for me my daughter is a Lawyer so she wrote the letter for me.

This has been a very stressful and time consuming 6 months and we would never use LAN again. We can not believe the absolutely terrible service, or no service, that they provide. A company that operated like this in Australia would be out of business in a short period of time with customers not booking with them.

LAN would not provide any information to me on my refund, someone was always going to phone me back but the phone calls never came. I phoned both the Santiago and Sydney offices but it was always the same story with a Supervisor needing to speak to me and they were never available so would ring me back. They did not answer emails either. I made over 30 phone calls and sent 13 emails. I believe this is a tactic LAN uses hoping people will just give up because I spent hours on the phones day after day. You hold on for a long time waiting for someone to speak to you then you get transferred to a different section, hold on again for a long time then get told someone will call you back. All lies.

I am sure most people give up their fight and LAN wins but if this happens to you keep fighting them. Better still don't book anything with them and use other airlines. We found Aerolineas Argentinas provided good service and were reliable.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Pammies,

I can't thank you enough for what your hard work based on wanting to obtain an objective and fair resolution has done. You've illustrated to consumers how they still have power to be treated just fairly, nothing more. The degree of persistence this takes is formidable when dealing with any firm that thinks customer service is an unnecessary practice or some airy concept that couldn’t possibly apply to them. Now LAN customers know of one kind of cheat that LAN had to recognize finally and correct on account of your commitment and your daughter's knowledge and contribution. Thank you greatly for reporting the outcome and how you achieved this, just the two of you.

I congratulate you both on your success with LAN. Should either of you ever come to Nice, I'd be glad to show you around for a day if you'd like that. Just PM me a couple of weeks beforehand, please.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Good work Pammies. No-one should have to go through this amount of drama to get a fair go.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Thank you for sharing your experience. I definitely won't use LAN. What an ordeal. I'm very glad your determination and persistence paid off. :)

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Whew, what a struggle. So sorry.

I am curious to know why you didn't just dispute the credit card charge instead of placing yourself at the mercy of the airline?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

dr.dawggy,

I don't know what Pammies will tell you. But I know that it's easy to rely on one's credit card to negate a card charge when it's a straightforward matter of a business not giving you the substance of the thing you bought or if one's card was used fraudulently or without your authority. I think Pammies’ matter wasn't that simple. No credit card issuer wants to spend resources on investigating more complex consumer contracts like an international flight purchase.

My impression is that Pammies with her lawyer-daughter fought for ALL consumers. She approached the problem from the perspective of justice for the "community" of consumers who are travelers rather than from an "individualist" approach that would benefit and put things right again just for herself.

What's great about what she did isn't just that she finally with dedication was treated fairly (albeit with long obstruction from the airline) but because of what she did, other travelers who might find themselves being messed with by that airline in the way she was can now point that airline to how it resolved the same matter in her case by putting things back to "fair" for her. That increases the chances of that airline eventually making its policy on refunds more consumer-fair because future passengers can cite how the airline eventually treated Pammies fairly.

Consumer rights and protection would not have developed to the state they are today since about 1850-1875 had the world not had people like Pammie.

She is the second Australian I've read about in the past year who has fought for consumers with an airline and won! The other Australian was a dual Australian/EU citizen who turned up for his flight from Sydney to BA with documents showing that dual nationals of countries which don't owe the Argentine reciprocal fee must be allowed to use their non-fee paying passport to enter BA. He wasn't a member of any consumer organization. On his own,he brought with him to the airport documents on Australia's recognition of dual nationality, a copy of Argentina's 'reciprocal entry fee law", and more. These showed that a country "A" from which he's flying to BA cannot stop him from entering Argentina (country "C") on his no-fee EU passport issued him by country "B". He alone has the prerogative – unfettered – to decide which of his 2 nationalities he’ll present himself as when he enters a country (“C”) of which he is not a citizen.

When the airline said he could not fly, he said he could have his lawyer there in no time. At that, top airport brass came right down to where he was. He presented his case again, this time to them. Eventually, they agreed that he was correct and that he could not be banned from his flight to BA.

I think that people like this man and Pammies improve the world.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

No argument with the second point.

Regarding the point that credit card companies are reluctant to accept disputes regarding international travel, in my admittedly limited experience this is not so. My one experience with one credit card company was resolved to my satisfaction. All it took was a statement from me with emails to support my claim.

Edited: 6:48 pm, September 25, 2013
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Urgent help needed - LAN has changed our flight

Thank you everyone for your support. I can tell you that I was almost in the divorce courts with my husband over this matter as it caused me a huge amount of time and stress with him saying it was not worth the fight and wanted me to give up. I have and will always fight for justice, the money was only a small part of the fight and went nowhere to cover my costs of phone calls, time and stress. No company big or small should be allowed to bully their customers like this and provide such deplorable service.

In relation to disputing the credit card payment the purchase went through in January for 3 flights on the one booking and it was not until March that I got the email from LAN saying one of those flights had been cancelled. When I looked at cancelling the whole booking, with the 3 flights, that LAN gave me the option to do, it was going to cost me a lot more money to book the other 2 flights again due to the short amount of time before we were due to take the first flight which was about 3 weeks. They told me that when you have a number of flights on the one booking then the whole booking has to be cancelled for which they would refund the costs but then all the flights have to be rebooked. Just to clarify I wanted one flight cancelled in this booking because LAN could not get me to my destination in time to meet the cruise ship so I booked a flight with Aerolineas Argentinas but still needed the other 2 flights on the booking. There was no way I was going to pay LAN any more money to book new flights and other airlines prices were going to cost me more also. I hope this makes sense.

If you want more information of this whole process see my other thread here: tripadvisor.com.au/…52792788

Pam