We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

It's just plain old sorrow.

DH and I are sad to be leaving BsAs, for this year, and I find it difficult to say goodbye to our friends here. True, it will be good to see family and friends in the USA, but Skype has helped to keep that distance less difficult. Back to an inundation of mail, household issues, continuing miserable weather and work. But yes, as they say, all good things......

We said goodbye to our excellent Spanish teacher, now friend, Gabriela Ferrante,. She has pulled us up (like Tira Misu) from bare bone beginners to being able to manage life in Argentina and even have some conversations - El Papa, Del Potro, mucos topics in Curves - She knows Italian and French quite well, which is a help to me in trying to learn the more complicated verb forms in Spanish ('trying' still being the salient word here). And she has stimulated us to continue our studies in the USA....these will include reading La Nacion (thank you, Punta Lugano) and trying to locate a speaker of Castillano, so that we can focus on the beautiful, Argentine accent. DH and I have very different learning styles, and we both recommend Gabriela for private or group lessons - and those wonderful excursions - en Español she took us on. Thank you Gabriela. www.gabrielaferrante.com

In addition to the visitors we have spent time with here (morewierd, glover and others) we have had the life enhancing privilege to have made, over the years, good Porteño friends. So we have been to parting dinners with many of them: We went to Restaurant 4141 to say goodbye to good friends (he used to be a frequent poster on this Forum). We all 4 found the restaurant to be very mod/minimalist in decor (they have a lovely terrace, but it was to chilly to eat afuera). The food was mixed: the soup was not good, the endive/mushroom starter was delicious and of the 4 principal dishes, only one was very good. The service was excellent. Though we would not recommend 4141, the evening was still so nice, as it always is being with these friends who have helped us so much over the years.

Today we will meet dear Porteño/ Uruguayo friends at Melo - this also gives us a chance for a nice walk to Recoleta. We haven't been to Melo yet this year, so that will be a treat - perhaps to help overcome the painful goodbye to our good friends ?

We leave for EZE on Friday, but not before having our traditional farewell lunch with Vero, a DE and chère amie.

So many goodbyes, and so many others to miss: Dr_dawggy and RicardoBA whom we did not see this year - next year ? Yankee Mike ?

Enough, I will now pause to shed a few tears - and then go to Curves with a bouquet of flowers for those lovely women: 3 years of exercise and friendship - and the hope to return in 2014.

Edited: 9:32 am, March 20, 2013
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
772 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Marnie,

I'm glad you had such a great time. My family and I are also really enjoying our stay and hitting many of our favorite places.

The best part of leaving Argentina is the feeling of the next time you come back. Safe travels.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Thank you, Saint, I wish youall the same...plus good visits with your (in-law) family.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Come back soon !!!

Cheers,

Gaucho

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Safe travels Marnie!! Thanks so much for sharing your delightful experiences.

Suerte!!

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

And what an eventful stay this was, Marnie!

- You became a Destination Expert as soon as you landed in Buenos Aires.

- You witnessed in person the dolar blue climb from 6,90 to 8,30.

- You shared our surprise and joy that the New Pope is Argentino.

On a more personal basis, I was thrilled that we could celebrate the Guapo's graduation and the new baby's arrival to the family with both of you.

... and a special mention for those G & T !!!

"Il faut partir si on veut pouvoir revenir" (we must leave if we want to be able to come back)

Un gran beso!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
806 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

I know you will be returning before the Wierdos. SO.......that is why I am constantly on this forum,enjoying the posts of all of you who CERTAINLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Other TA forums are good to very good......the BA forum is EXCELLENT.

Thank you always.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Awwww.

So nice, Gracias mis amigas.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

What a great report and you can really tell your sad to leave but the good thing is that when you arrive home you can start palnning the next trip.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Thank you Chrella,

I know you know the feeling. Many on this Forum have been return visitors to BsAs and share the experience. Staying for longer periods (11+ weeks this year) really makes Buenos Aires feel like a second home...so, really difficult to leave -especially to leave dear friends behind.

Edited: 7:58 am, March 21, 2013
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parting is not 'such sweet sorrow' :(

Safe travels and pleasant memories, Marnie and DH. And remember, chances are that the Dolar Azul will more than keep up with inflation over the next year, so your 2014 visit could be even cheaper -- you can stay longer!