We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

Belmar, New Jersey
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

Hello, my wife and I will be spending 7 nights in February 2014 in BA and using points for our hotel stay. So we can stay at the Marriott or the Hilton. Which would be the best choice for location, safety, cleanliness, etc.? Many thanks.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

The hotels could not be more different--the Marriott is an historic hotel with a few quirks owing to its age. Room and batroom sizes vary enormously, it was not designed with disability access in mind and a few other oddities. It is located adjacent to Plaza San Martin in the downtown area and many of the rooms have magnificent views of the area.

It was originally built to house wealthy Europeans who were enticed to visit Argentina to discuss investing in building the country. Many did. So if you are .looking for a hotel that helped shape Argentin, this could well be the spot for you.

The Hilton is in Buenos Aires' newest neighborhood, Puerto Madero. It is more sleek and modern in architecture, without the quirks of an older character hotel. There is nothing particularly distinctive about this hotel that would remind you that you are in Argentina. Without peeking outside you could just as easily be in Wichita, Ks. as South America. Some take comfort in this type familiarity.

I like both hotels for different reasons.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

I think, if safety and cleanliness are high on your list of hotel qualities, then the Hilton, in Puerto Madero, would be a 'cleaner' choice. I like the Marriott a lot, but the location is downtown, at the Plaza San Martin, which you might find a bit sketchy at night.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

I would also go with the Hilton as there have been some problems with scams around the Plaza San Martin area and I didn't really feel as safe there.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

Agree with all of the above.

This same issue was addressed a few months ago:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k5919…

The pool - for a stay in February - would tip the scales in favor of the Hilton, in my opinion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

The Hilton Pool is the best part of this Hotel in my opinion. Both Hotels are ok, the rooms and beds are better at the Marriott but I also don't like its location. Many people like the Hilton, so I am in the minority of those who only find it passable. I like its location, you will have plenty of restaurants at your doorstep and since February is usually hot and humid the "river breeze" will be a welcome one at the Hilton.

Belmar, New Jersey
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

Thank you all for your feedback. The Hilton it is!

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

Are you planning to use your points for the trip now? In this koo koo country, a cup of coffee, next year could be US$!.00 or US$25.00. What will happen if you decide not to take the trip?

8. Re: Marriott or Hilton in Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 20, 2014