We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

robbed in the subway

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
robbed in the subway

My husband and I were in the subway in Buenos Aires a few weeks ago. There seems to be a certain tactic that robbers use in the subways.

They first want you to go first either in the train or an escalator. One robber is in the front while the other robber is behind you.

I was about to go into the train and one very well dressed man told me to go first. He looked to my left at another man and this man too told me to go first. Somehow I ended up in the train first and my husband was caught between two men. When my husband got into the train the other man who was on my left suddenly left the train saying it was the wrong train. We did not loose much since we never carry much with us. They only got a few dollars from us.

Our friend too almost got robbed in a similar manner. However when my friend got the woman to get in the train first that woman quickly left the train.

So be careful when traveling to Buenos Aires by subway.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: robbed in the subway

Robbery tactics, like you have described ,take place daily all over the world. Thanks for the heads up. \Glad your loss was not too significant.. One has to be on guard constantly whether at home or abroad.

Edited: 7:06 pm, March 15, 2013
Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: robbed in the subway

When traveling, consider carrying all money, papers, etc. in a pouch that loops around a belt and goes inside one's pants, to the side. I've never heard of a thief getting to such a pouch.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: robbed in the subway

What if you're wearing a skirt ?

:-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: robbed in the subway

This isn't the first time someone has posted on here about robberies on the subway but this is the first time I've read just how they go about it so thanks for the info. Forewarned is forearmed.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
755 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: robbed in the subway

Tons and tons of tourists get robbed on the subway. Although some locals try to make it sound like its not a problem it clearly is. I've dealt with thousands of tourists over the past decade in Argentina and many many have reported getting mugged in the subway. Same as several locals I know.

There are many tactics. One client told me about a guy that actually vomited on him to distract he and his wife.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: robbed in the subway

My wife and I almost got scammed by the vomiting trick on the BA subway this morning.

A guy started to vomit on the train, but strangely, kept moving up the carriage as he was vomiting on the floor. If he was genuinely ill, why did he keep moving up the carriage?

As I tried to move away from the "vommiter", my path was blocked by two "bystanders", who in retrospect, were standing their ground, thereby sandwiching me between themselves and the "vommiter" who was slowly moving up the carriage towards me.

As I tried to get past the two "bystanders" one attempted to get to my pocket. I caught eyes with him and pushed him away.

I'm convinced the scam was that I should have been so intent on watching the vommiter and trying to move away from him, that I wouldn't have noticed the "bystander" dipping into my pocket.

In retrospect, it's also occurred to me that the vommiter, was spewing, what almost looked like water. ie he was loaded with water to spew on demand.

It all happened really quickly. We made sure to get off the train at the next station.

Please be careful and watch out for this scam.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: robbed in the subway

My wife and I almost got scammed by the vomiting trick on the BA subway this morning.

A guy started to vomit on the train, but strangely, kept moving up the carriage as he was vomiting on the floor. If he was genuinely ill, why did he keep moving up the carriage?

As I tried to move away from the "vommiter", my path was blocked by two "bystanders", who in retrospect, were standing their ground, thereby sandwiching me between themselves and the "vommiter" who was slowly moving up the carriage towards me.

As I tried to get past the two "bystanders" one attempted to get to my pocket. I caught eyes with him and pushed him away.

I'm convinced the scam was that I should have been so intent on watching the vommiter and trying to move away from him, that I wouldn't have noticed the "bystander" dipping into my pocket.

In retrospect, it's also occurred to me that the vommiter, was spewing, what almost looked like water. ie he was loaded with water to spew on demand.

It all happened really quickly. We made sure to get off the train at the next station.

Please be careful and watch out for this scam.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
755 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: robbed in the subway

Eoin,

Yes, that is one of the MANY scams going on in the Subway. My client told me it was some mix that wasn't just water but who knows. Yes, he said they tried to get you focused on the vomiter.

With all the taxis in the city I've never had any desire to take the subway. Plus there was never one close to my home/office when I lived there.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
755 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: robbed in the subway

Also, I wanted to point out that people shouldn't be afraid or feel stupid to post about their experiences getting robbed in the Subway. I've read posts on there by some locals that said, "I've never had problems ever in the Subway" and that may be true. But no reason anyone should feel ashamed or silly if they got robbed.

As I mentioned, I've had the good fortune to deal with literally tens of thousands of tourists to Argentina over the past decade and I always had an exit survey before they left Argentina and asked what their favorite and least favorite parts of their trip was.

There were many, many that wrote about getting mugged on the subway. Unfortunately these aren't isolated or unique situations by the sounds of it.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: robbed in the subway

Eoin_Lough, could you provide a little more information? What line and station was this? What time was it? I think the details would be useful.