We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transporting baked empanadas to NY

ago
Branford, CT
Level Contributor
199 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Transporting baked empanadas to NY

I would like to take a dozen baked empanadas on the flight home.

Should I put them in the suitcase or carry-on?

Any problems with customs in NY? (They will be fully cooked.)

Freeze them the night before and put them frozen in the suitcase?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Ago

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transporting baked empanadas to NY

You will need to put them into your checked luggage, buy them at the last minute and get them to package them for travelling.

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transporting baked empanadas to NY

I have transported empanadas. I freeze them..pack therm with ice frozen inside plastic pack like you would take on a picnic.Pack in checked luggage and enclose in several plastic bags. Worked well for me . good luck.

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transporting baked empanadas to NY

I have done this also. We carried them onboard. And ate them as dinner, then gave a few out the next day. Likely putting them in your luggage makes sense. Yet, if a beagle inspects your luggage at arrivals, and assuming he's looking for food, those empanadas are history.....

Good luck.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,039 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transporting baked empanadas to NY

If you are flying to NY when we do, you bring the empanadas and I'll bring the alfajores and we will all have a picnic .. this is great, I never thought of doing this .. I am bringing everyone cookies but now maybe we will bring home some empanadas too :)

Edited: 5:47 pm, March 15, 2013
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transporting baked empanadas to NY

Scarlett,

Two dozen empanadas from El Sanjuanino and just tell us what time to be over.

Pls dont forget the salsa.

Ciao.

6. Re: Transporting baked empanadas to NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 17, 2014