We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

Luis Alberto Romero, with a translation by James P. Brennen?

Both Spanish and English versions are available. It was originally published in Spanish by Fondo de Cultura Economica de Argentina, S.A. in 2001 w/ subsequent a English translation in 2002 by The Penn State U press. The newest English version is published by the original Argy publisher.

If so, any thoughts on accuracy, bias, balance of reporting?

(Not much time to post these days, but miss you all. Rick is improving. Today is the 6 week anniversary of the surgery, and he was allowed to go for a short bike ride:)))

Orange County...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

This book is fiction, but I just read a review on it and was wondering if anyone has read it... It is entitled "The Tango Singer", written by Tomas Eloy Martinez who is a professor at Rutgers who is director of Latin American studies there. He also authored two previous novels, "Santa Evita" and "The Peron Novel". I saw the review in the LA Times today, and then went to Amazon to check it out. No reviews yet from readers, but the time period of the book is 2001.

The writing style might be a little heavy for me so I was just curious.

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

2001 leading up to the crash was a fascinating time. Should be great reading. The book I mention above is touted as a 'history book' that is to say, books students would actually use to study the subject. I can tell you that the reading is definitely not light, but again, fascinating.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

Short history of the Argentines (author: Felix Luna)

In my opinion this book is a brilliant portrait of Argentine history between the first foundation of Buenos Aires and the years following the collapse of Perón"s second presidency. By focusing on each determining event, the author not only analyzes a particular historical moment but also sheds light on present times. Félix Luna offers all his wisdom to reflect upon the constitution and the development of a complex , contradictory, very interesting society.

A GOOD START to understand the basis upon which the peculiarity of Argentina and its inhabitants is founded.

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

Hi Santi - It's next on my list, but the Romero is slow reading, so I probably won't get to the Luna for a while. I bought the Romero at the airport on my way out, as well as a couple of books in French about tango, so these will keep me busy at least until I can return to BsAs.

As always, thank you for your 'expert' recommendations.

25. Re: Has anyone read 'A History of Argentina in the Twentieth...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 12, 2009