We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

So, in my determination to continue my exercise regime, I walked the 1/2 mile to my International, Ladies Exercise Club: CURVES.

CERRADO !

It was closed for today's holiday... What holiday ?

In my increasingly less pathetic Español, I chatted up a lady - also disappointed in a closed shop - and she told me it was a one day holiday in remembrance of some event about 2 hundred years ago. But I could not quite determine what the historic event was......( she implied that the motivation for the holiday was political - please the masses for the votes).

Help from TA posters in the know. Just Curious.

Then, I had the temerity (I was on a roll) to ask her where she got her hair cut - it had layers, unlike most Porteñas' cuts. And, I got a good referral. So Chattty Cathy that I am.....I exercised my lengua instead of my cuerpo - but I felt, again, another fine morning in BsAs.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

It is the 200th anniversary of the signing of the Constitution and only celebrated this year . :)

this happens to us all the time, an unknown holiday pops up.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

Gracias, Scarlett.

That does warrant a holiday - so I will desist from complaining.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

de nada, sweetie, but if you feel like complaining, the heat is good for a whine..

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

Good for a wine ! a chilled one, though.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

Holidays are one of the many unusual political issues in Argentina. This year, by my count, there will be 18 public holidays. Of these, two (Monday, April 1, and Friday, June 21) are what is known as "puente," or "bridge." This means they are holidays declared the day before a "real" holiday falling on Tuesday, or after a "real" holiday falling on Thursday, put in the calendar simply to ensure that workers can take four-day weekends. Extra holidays are declared with the intent to convince people to vote for the government in power, which "gave" them the days off. But what about the effect on economic productivity, you might ask? Not to worry, the government simply declares that "there shall no adverse effect on productivity."

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

Would that it could work that way. Thank you, Punta.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
240 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

Ah ha, just as I suspected - a holiday. Couldn't imagine what else could explain all the people out with picnics and families on the way back into Salta on the scenic Ruta 9. Everyone was put dipping in the river.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

LOL Punta. Your post was excellent and spot on target. "No adverse effect on productivity". Yeah.

That's one thing I don't miss anymore is all those holidays as a company owner with MANY employees. It's great if you're an employee but horrible if you're a business owner.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

How about that- Argentina has bridge holidays before and after real holidays just as France does! We're accustomizing to places being closed very often or storekeepers just closing at 4pm when their signs say they're open to 7 pm. So far, I've not seen anyone except us display an iota of irritation at this. It just means you have to reschedule your day (!) or have an extra coffee break which may as well be anywhere by the sea.

I just knew that Nice would be the closest place we'd find to BA!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What the Heck ? Holiday today.......

And France with its 13 public holidays per year has the 6th largest productivity rank PER HOUR in the world. It's just below the US but ahead of hard-working Germany, the UK, and Canada, and miles ahead of Japan and South Korea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

There must be something in the claim that rest breaks increase productivity.

But GDP per capita in France is well below the US which is below Las Malvinas whereas Argentina is ranked 52nd!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Perhaps Argentina's low rank is the time lost to strikes rather than to its 18 holidays per year: