We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money in Buenos Aires

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money in Buenos Aires

I've read so much about money exchange Cuevos, xoom ect and I,m confused. I am traveling from UK to Rio and onto BA. I prefer to change cash rather than use atm because of the better rates. I am staying on Ave de Mayo, so where can I go to get a deal on my GB Pound ?

Cheers

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

Since you seem not to be based in the US, Xoom is apparently not an option for you, most here say that unless you have a US base you cannot use them. Im no Xoon expert so perhaps you should still look into the details.

You mention Sterling... I would suggest you try to get Ben Franklins before you leave home. Not that your Pounds will not be accepted, but your effective exchange rate will be lower. If you are able to get USD's at a competitive rate in London (?) or wherever, then you are best equipped with that to place your trades.

Please read up on the various threads for more information.

Have a great trip.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

Thanks buddy.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

Listen !!!! Take dollars... take them to Ave Florida. One hundred USA is $ 7.8 Pesos as of 20 th Feb-2013 or, get fleeced by your bank and ATM !!!! .

100% safe there. Dont be a fool, live here on the cheep and bring Dollars to change you mugs !!!!!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

If you purchase USD for your visit be sure that the notes are in pristine condition or they won't be accepted. Argentines are most particular about this.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

Yes... the above is correct. A few years ago, the condition of the notes was not an issue, but lately, if your bills are not in very good condition you will be offered a lower exchange rate, much like what is the case in places like SE Asia. I remember this practice from my days in Indonesia & Thailand.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

But following on the Bangkok writer's glowing recommendation about black market on Florida Avenue, see the following article about one of the perils associated with human banking machines.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k6164…

ny, ny
Level Contributor
91 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

cash Cash Cash. was in BA about two weeks ago. So upset that I changed way too much money over to peso before arriving. I was going to make the same recommendation as RockyRyan above and say Florida Street was a place where every people saying "cambio, cambio" to exchance money... But just ask around wherever you are staying ...... The deals in stores are sooooo much better if you offer US$ ...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

Ditto cash, cash, cash...

I did the money exchange thing on Florida a couple of times and with minimal preparation/research and common sense it's a very straightforward, simple and safe transaction, but I can certainly understand how it would be too nerve wracking for many travellers.

For nervous travellers it is not difficult or complicated to reach an agreement with someone at your hotel/hostel and have them do the exchange for you. Instead of being totally scammed by the bank or ATM simply settle on an exchange rate that splits the best of both worlds - say 6.5 or 7 pesos to the dollar. You save lots of money over the ridiculous rip-off official rate and the person doing the exchange for you makes a few bucks too for their time and trouble - everyone comes out ahead.

As for the stores... I made several fairly expensive purchases from some very high-end stores and every single one of them were thrilled to receive USDs and they all offered VERY fair exchange rates - sometimes as high as 10/1 including a "sale price" discount on the item.

Bottom line, USDs are dead easy to exchange in Buenos Aires.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 4:24 pm, February 26, 2013
PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

just returned (3/30/2013) got as high as 8.2/US$. some restaurants and stores will first discount 10% for cash vs. credit card. then possibly offer you a favorable exchange rate.

Best store rate we got was 7.5. best restaurant rate was 8.2. Lowest 6.0 was a popular restaurant.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing money in Buenos Aires

Wow, that 8.2 is not far from the very best you can get even if you're well connected according to La Nacion daily newspaper. Did you pay with a hundred dollar bill or did they give you that rate even for using smaller denominations?