We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

New York
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

I'l be visiting BA for about a week and thinking about buying a local prepaid SIM card for my old unlocked GSM phone.

Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for it and if it's easy enough to buy, and where (in central BA) would be the best place to buy it.

Thanks in advance.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
698 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

My 2 cents worth: don't even bother!

We are here for 12 weeks.......use Moviestar. Got the SIM card free at Moviestar Central on Santa Fe.......but then you have to buy minutes at a kiosk.

Our initial 50 peso charge seemed to go down to nothing with a few calls...and we then put in 30 pesos.

For a week........go to a locutorio and make a call.

Have fun.

New York
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

Thanks for the tip morewierd.

Did you make local or international calls? What is a locutorio?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
698 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

It's a store that has telephone booths. You are assigned to one.......and then charged by the minute. VERY efficient.

NO......I did not make international calls. We use skype on our laptop. But someone HAS posted that IF you have money in your skype acc't......you can even do it from a locutorio. there s usually internet service there too.

I'm sure someone will chime in if my info is less than correct.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

I think for one week, moreweird's advice is sound. If you do have a possibility of using SKYPE that is the best way to call abroad.

I would only add another option - buy an international calling card (The card LLAMADA DIRECTA seems to get the most minutes) at a kiosko and use it from any land phone.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,032 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

You can buy minutes at Carrefours too, just give them the phone number and pay. My husband says, if you are only staying for a week, he wouldn't bother with the SIM card , just use the phone or a locutorio.

Locutorios are where you can pay to use computers or phones. We used them for a couple of months when we moved here and had no permanent home yet.

Edited: 9:15 am, December 22, 2012
New York
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

Thank you all for the advice, it's quite helpful.

7. Re: Cost and Hassle Factor of Buying a SIM Card in BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 24, 2013