We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

So we're fine tuning our November trip to BsAs (third visit) and my boyfriend found something new and interesting/weird. He was reading a popular Argentine ExPat online publication and found a request from a guy who is an organic farmer somewhere in the countryside of Argentina. Mr. Farmer reported the exhorbitant shipping costs for UPS, FedEx, etc (we've all heard of this) and appealed to anyone coming from the US to Argentina in the near future a favor. (I know, I was thinking... "Holy SH**!! Don't you remember Midnight Express???!!".) But no. He just needed some farm type clothing, bib overalls and jeans and heavy cotton workshirts. He explained he'd like to purchase the clothing online, have it shipped to the future traveller's home (us), and then they (we) would pack it in our luggage and bring it to BsAs! Easy! So. Boyfriend talks to me, I'm like "Well. It's not like I'm going to get a big ol' box of weed from Amazon.com, now am I?". Boyfriend replies and tells the guy we'd be happy to help out. Well. Farmer Brown replied today and said "You know, actually, I'm good with clothes now. What I need is those little packets of heirloom seeds. Lemme know.". OBVIOUSLY we're out of the game now. Boyfriend replied "Sorry, we're not able to help you out at this time.". Because even bringing heirloom "tomato" seeds into Argentina is prohibited, let alone what else may have been mentioned in forthcoming emails. Is this a regular thing? If so, wow. Pretty brazen, if you ask me.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

What's disappeared, at least from the normal places in Recoleta, is the Philadelphia cream cheese in a small tub; the one shaped like a "pan" of butter, spreadable but less so, is still available. Who knows, maybe this shortage is temporary.

Thanks for the offer, joyjoy000, but I'll be taking Buquebus to Uruguay next week and hopefully they will still have single malts in their Duty Free shops on board. They can stock them from Uruguay, I presume. Dr. Dawggy, I didn't even mention Talisker, which disappeared long, long ago. Some previously unheard-of brands of single malts have shown up, ones I didn't even see in Scotland. Wonder how it is that some get in and others don't? That's a rhetorical question; I know how it happens, and so does everyone else. :)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

I'm wondering if Mr. Organic Farmer is the guy I buy tomatoes from in the summer. He's from Wisconsin and brought the most delicious deep orange, cherry tomato seeds with him when he moved. He's been growing them organically in the countryside. I hope he hasn't run out of seeds -- they taste like little drops of sunshine.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Sylvie,

He goes by the name YanquiMike on that forum, does that sound like it might be your guy? There really is nothing like a home-grown tomato in the summertime, now is there? mmmmmm

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Don't think so... his name was Drew. He sold them on the street in Belgrano (did you run into him, Sandy?) and delivered to me in San Telmo. Hopefully Drew has enough seeds!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Sure Scarlett. I'm in Cancun now but flying back to the USA for a few hours before flying to Buenos Aires next week. Let me know if you like creamy or chunky and happy to pick some up for you. :)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Before I visited BA, I had set up an appointment w/a massage therapist to come to our apartment. I asked if there was anything I could bring from the U.S. as a tip. She (an American ex-pat) requested Bisquick or some other pancake mix. Wallah! A tip she loved, and extra space left in my suitcase for the return trip!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

phoenix dog, someone brought me Biscuick on visit when we were here just a couple of years. I do miss that stuff.

Sandy, no more US Mayo in BA. Even in Belgrano ~

The Chinatown peanut butter is actually okay , my taste buds may have become Argentine :)

Punta, I saw Philadelphia cream cheese everywhere in Belgrano. In the tubs. Plain and flavored.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

JoyJoy hello,

We are also frequent visitors to BsAs, and pleased to be following your plans for this year.

We have brought things (not seeds, though) for 'Mr. Farmer' and know him now as a friend. (Assuming that he is the same 'Mr. Farmer', he is an honest and fine man, with an honest and fine Porteña wife - both very hard working.

Looking forward to your TRs.

~MarnieWDC

19. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, December 14, 2013