We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

So we're fine tuning our November trip to BsAs (third visit) and my boyfriend found something new and interesting/weird. He was reading a popular Argentine ExPat online publication and found a request from a guy who is an organic farmer somewhere in the countryside of Argentina. Mr. Farmer reported the exhorbitant shipping costs for UPS, FedEx, etc (we've all heard of this) and appealed to anyone coming from the US to Argentina in the near future a favor. (I know, I was thinking... "Holy SH**!! Don't you remember Midnight Express???!!".) But no. He just needed some farm type clothing, bib overalls and jeans and heavy cotton workshirts. He explained he'd like to purchase the clothing online, have it shipped to the future traveller's home (us), and then they (we) would pack it in our luggage and bring it to BsAs! Easy! So. Boyfriend talks to me, I'm like "Well. It's not like I'm going to get a big ol' box of weed from Amazon.com, now am I?". Boyfriend replies and tells the guy we'd be happy to help out. Well. Farmer Brown replied today and said "You know, actually, I'm good with clothes now. What I need is those little packets of heirloom seeds. Lemme know.". OBVIOUSLY we're out of the game now. Boyfriend replied "Sorry, we're not able to help you out at this time.". Because even bringing heirloom "tomato" seeds into Argentina is prohibited, let alone what else may have been mentioned in forthcoming emails. Is this a regular thing? If so, wow. Pretty brazen, if you ask me.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

lol, Hey JoyJoy ! I am glad you are coming back soon, I am also very glad you are not getting involved with anything like this.

Midnight Express indeed :)

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

I have no idea whether it's a regular thing. But all kinds of products are disappearing from the shelves in BA, so maybe more people will be trying to obtain items through travelers. So far, what's affected me most is the disappearance of spreadable Philadelphia Cream Cheese, and the waning availability of Glenlivet and Glenfiddich.

buenos aires
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

"...all kinds of products are disappearing from the shelves in BA..."

I'd say that many imported items are not as easy to find as it was in the past...

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

This is fairly normal for people to request to bring stuff from the USA. Especially electronics which are almost impossible to get in Argentina now or VERY expensive.

I'm coming down to Buenos Aires next week and I'm already bringing down 4 Apple TV units, an Ipod, cellular phone and a few other things from friends that requested them. It's the same thing every time I go down.

I wouldn't bring any plants/fruit products or anything else prohibited but I always do a favor and bring stuff for my friends. Also, several request food products that they can't get in Argentina or that they miss at home.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Saint, bring me a jar of Peanut Butter ..

lol .. just kidding.

I have already gone cold turkey.

Chinatown is one of the places where I found not easily found items from Other Worlds .. their markets are jammed with goodies that are imported, although lately, who knows ~

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Punta, I was at the Coto on Av. Cabildo yesterday and they had a good supply of spreadable Philadelphia cream cheese.

And there´s a store on Teodoro Garcia and Cabildo that sells peanut butter for those desperately craving it.

And Scarlett, at the cheese store on F. Lacroze between Cabildo and 3 de Febrero they have American mayo! (or at least they had it a few days ago)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

American mayo ? like Best Foods ? the Hellmans here is made for Argentine tastebuds :)

I have to go look. it is a good day to shop for mayo in Belgrano lol ...besitos

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

Punta, I could live without the cream cheese.....but to deprive a man of his single malt? Does Argentina allow impeachment? Madam Presidente has gone too far. Too far, I say,.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

If any of you fine folks need any mayo or grits or spreadable cream cheese or salad dressing or nutella, let me know and I will gladly pack some for you.

Punta- want us to pick you up a bottle of scotch at the duty free in Houston?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Here's a new one. For us, anyway.

This is going way off topic, but Punta and Dr.D, have you been to Café de los Incas in Belgrano?

http://www.cafelosincas.com.ar/Ambiente.htm

Going back to the original post, don´t ever bring something into another country from a total stranger, unless it´s something you purchased yourself.