We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
446 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

Hello,

Can you please help if you know.

We are crossing over to Argentina by land through Iguazu Falls.

We are flying from USA to Brazil, Rio. We usa citizens.Then from Rio to IGU, Brazil Iguazu Falls a domestic flight. Then we will cross by land into Argentina.

We purchased a flight from IGR Argentina Iguazu Falls to Buenos Aires. We got the below email from Expedia. From my understanding, we bypass paying the reciprocity taxes crossing by land then flying domestic.

Has there been any recent changes?

Beginning October 1st, 2012, citizens of the United States, Canada and Australia traveling to Jorge Newberry Airport (AEP) in Buenos Aires, Argentina must pay reciprocity taxes ONLINE, in advance of their travel.

Beginning December 29th, 2012, citizens of the United States, Canada and Australia traveling to Ezeiza Ministro Pistarini Airport (EZE) in Buenos Aires, Argentina must pay reciprocity taxes ONLINE, in advance of their travel.

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
446 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

I meant reciprocity tax for USA citizen if flying domestic into Argentina. We will cross over by land from Brazil Iguazu Falls into Argentina. Then a domestic flight into Burnos Aires.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,911 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

"traveling to Jorge Newberry Airport (AEP) in Buenos Aires, Argentina must pay reciprocity taxes ONLINE, in advance of their travel."

Seems pretty clear. Doesn't say anything about how you cross the border, just whether you arrive at AEP airport, which you will. So, yes, you need it, in my opinion.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

The receipt for the Reciprocity Tax is scanned at the two airports in Buenos Aires by the immigration people for only flights arriving internationally.

Since you are flying from a domestic airpor(IGR) then no one will look at your passport for the receipt

Also, they will not scan your passport as you exit Argentina for the receipt.

Crossing into Argentina via land or sea does not require the receipt for Reciprocity Tax..

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
446 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

Ricardo thank you for reassuring me. I thought that perhaps something may have changed. THANK YOU!

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

It is prudent to watch for further updates and changes in the reciprocity program. The move to online collections will make it easier to monitor all points of entry. I imagine the government is well aware of this and will broaden its enforcement at some point.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

My thoughts exactly Dr_D!

If it's about "reciprocity", someone sitting behind a desk here must have already figured that Argentine nationals pay for their visa, regardless of their point of entry to the US.

I imagine this online payment is a way of doing something similar to what applies to those entering the US with the ESTA form: log in, pay with a credit card, print the authorisation or the airline won't allow you to board the plane & end of story.

Montreal
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

Hi,

We are taking a cruise from Rio to Buenos Aires. We are taking a flight from Buenos Aires to Mendoza, then returning to Buenos Aires to get back to Canada.

So no reciprocity fee to pay, right ?

Frederic

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
446 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

Domestic flights correct? Then no

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

As of today, FCostin, RicardoBA and dr_dawggy and Verobaires are, as always, correct, as is Gigglesbubble.

Wish consensus were that easy in politics :-)

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reciprocity Tax for USA if flying domestic from Brazil?

The U.S. charges this type of fee ostensibly to pay for expenses related to screening of people with bad intentions by adding extra staff at entry points. Bad things have happened and the possibility continues to be a source of anxiety. You'd think that by paying all this money in fees visitors at the gates would at least enjoy something vaguely approaching normal. Why is it then that ever increasing numbers of foreign guests arriving at Miami International Airport deluge the TA Miami forum with complaints? They say that lines are excessively long due to under-staffing and that they are forced to walk great distances from the arrival gate. Larding up the holiday fun with lavish government fees was an idea duly noted by the Campora crowd and that was at least partly inspired by us. As Saint recently pointed out, the whole rigamorole is amazingly counter-productive; to wit: fewer and fewer visitors spending less and less money. I'll continue to be crazy in love with goucholandia, with the place and the people. You just gotta make allowances. No sense waiting for everything to be in perfect order before having fun. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.