We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in BA for a single day in December?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Liberty, Iowa
Level Contributor
270 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in BA for a single day in December?

My flight gets in just before 9am on a Thursday morning (week before Christmas) and I leave again before 8am Friday.

I love history and architecture (but am up for pretty much anything) and will need to limit shopping as I'll be heading south to Antarctica and will be sharing a quad cabin. I've looked at various attractions but nothing has really jumped out at me yet and said "you absolutely MUST see this!"

If you had such limited time, what would your priorities be for seeing one or maybe two places? :)

My flight gets into EZE and I leave the next morning from AEP so I'll probably want a hotel near AEP. Reviews of Duque looked fantastic, but really anything safe, with a bed and a shower will make me happy if anyone has any suggestions for lodging for the night.

Thank you! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
444 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

Find a local guide to give you a walking tour of the city or guided by private car. You can see the most this way and wont have to be on a tour group's schedule.

Just a thought. Enjoy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

The Palermo area, in close proximity to AEP has a large amount of boutique hotels to suit every taste and budget. Some examples other than the one you mention, BoBo Hotel, The Glu, Malabia House, Home Hotel, Rendezvous Hotel, Legado Mitico, etc. It may be easier to look at a site like booking.com or expedia and put in Palermo so that it gives you many more options. BoBo Hotel has a really good restaurant which many locals go to as well as Hotel guests. You will be tired I imagine so you might really only have a few afternoon and evening hours to explore the city. A private car as mentioned above would probably be the best way to get a few highlights into your very limited time. Your hotel could assist you with a good "Remis" company perhaps with a bilingual driver. If you were in a Recoleta area Hotel, which is a little further away for your airport in the morning,but much more central, I would say just go for a walk. A couple of Hotels that come to mind in a really good location are Loi Suites Recoleta and the Melia Recoleta. You are in close proximity to the Recoleta cemetery, the very beautiful Basilica del Pilar www.basilicadelpilar.org.ar and some beautiful old buildings. I would not ordinarily recommend people visit cemeteries, but the Recoleta cemetery is unique and is visited by many tourists from all over the world.

North Liberty, Iowa
Level Contributor
270 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

Thanks! :)

Anna, I'll have to look at the basilica. Wandering around cathedrals/mosques/etc is one of my favorite things when I travel since it's a great mix of history and architecture. The photos I had seen previously of the basilica were pretty blah.

It sounds like the Recoleta area is just a tiny bit further from the airport (still plenty close for an early flight) but has more to see. Palermo sounds more like it's mainly hotels.

Just walking around and seeing whatever is in the neighborhood sounds good, I just didn't want to miss out! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

Palermo (Botanico) is a neighborhood full of homes and shops and schools and parks, Botanical Gardens and a Zoo .. you can walk from Palermo to Recoleta, which is full of museums, gardens, parks and homes , hotels and restaurants..

Palermo Soho and Hollywood are jammed with hotels and shops but people live there too. You can't go to any neighborhood and not find mostly homes, like most big cities in the world.

For the tiny bit of time you will be in the city, you are definitely going to miss out.

Anna, I have been to Pere LaChaise in Paris and always recommend it as well as Recoleta :) We are not ghouls, we know where to find beauty in unexpected places ~

Edited: 4:27 pm, October 02, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

If you like churches and cathedrals then you must not miss La Catedral in Buenos Aires. It is called La Catedral Metropolitana de Buenos Aires. It is also far more beautiful than photos suggest.

Scarlett I have never been to Pere LaChaise, thank you for that, I will put it on my "list"

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

Oh anna, it is wonderful. Stop and see the tomb of Oscar Wilde, covered in lipstick marks , amazing writers and composers and so very large. And Jim Morrison :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

I love Oscar Wilde and I knew he had died in Paris but had never looked into where he was buried. I certainly will visit on my next trip.

8. Re: What to do in BA for a single day in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 14, 2013