We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad and Good Luck on a Tuesday in Buenos Aires

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bad and Good Luck on a Tuesday in Buenos Aires

Woke to the sound of heavy rainfall. Is this a sign it is time to return to Oregon?? Anyway, this was incentive enough to sleep late. Santiago´s tour of Palermo was postponed until Wednesday due to an unexpected death of his high school friend, but not a problem as I moved to plan B, doing indoor things such as museums. This is where checking the guidebook plays a key role. I assumed MALBA was closed on Mondays and opened the rest of the week..WRONG! Tuesday is the day they are closed. No problem, moved to plan C, as by that time rain had stopped and sun had come out--with a vengance. In about a 30 minute period temperature climbed at least 10 degrees farenheit. Next plan was to explore gardens of Palermo. First stopped at Japanese Garden. By that time stomach was beginning to require nourishment, and guidebooks said one of better japanese sushi restaurants in BA was within garden. Well, guidebook failed to mention that restaurant was closed certain days..once again on Tuesday! By that time heat was getting to me, so stopped at local Queso y Queso for a few empanadas, and then grocery store near B&B for chips & can of Quilmes. Sat in lovely enclosed courtyard of B&B Orilla and had picnic-style lunch, including ricotta cheesecake that I had bought yesterday at Confiteria Violetas (end of Robert´s walking tour). By end of lunch any thoughts of walking to Alto Palermo for more shopping got ´waylaid´ by sudden need for siesta. Woke around 7 pm--in time to plan dinner! Decided to stick to the reliable vs. trendy and about 8:30 arrived at parilla El Trapiche. To my surprise, there were already a number of porteños there enjoying dinner--I have gotten used to being the first person to arrive! My plan to stick to a 1-2 bottle of wine quickly went out the window when I saw--and checked with waiter on vintage--Luigi Bosca Malbec 2002 DOC on menu! I ordered ´matambrito de cerdo´(pork flank), which according to Time Out BA is the best in town. As I saw yummerooony plates of rabas being delivered to other tables I was beginning to doubt my choice. However, once I got my entree--complete with papas fritas a la española (fried potato slices instead of fries) I was extremely happy with my choice. Now this is not a cut of meat for everybody. It has a lot of fat. For me, I think it makes the meat tast better--and I don´t start my diet until April 10th so I didn´t care! Unlike other BA restaurants, the stream of customers at this place was constant..although I did notice the ´beautiful people´seemed to show up after about 10:30 pm. One was a Kim Katrell (S_x & City character) lookalike, who probably spent $100 usd a week keeping up her fake blonde highlights. And a woman she was with picked up a plate and blew it off, as if ´´riff raff dust´from the rest of us customers had touched it! They strutted around looking for the perfect table to see and be seen at for at least 10 minutes. I decided to make my perfect dessert, which was to ask for ´short´cafe (w- a little milk) and a dish of ice cream & combined the two at my table--basically cofee w- ice cream. Perfect! I left the remaining Luigi Bosca, as it was only 1-4 left, and did not have one of those fancy¨"air remover" pumps like I have at home. So all in all, a day that started out wrong turned out great!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Bad and Good Luck on a Tuesday in Buenos Aires

well, it does sound like your day ended up being great!! I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying yourself!! El Trapiche's food is delicious. Good choice, and, don't forget to go back to the Japaneese garden for amazing sushi! and to MALBA!! you will enjoy both. Also, try Osaka restaurant!!

Portland, OR
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Bad and Good Luck on a Tuesday in Buenos Aires

That is a very sweet picture, D., of my sleeping buddy. I am going to miss her terribly when you get home tomorrow! Chao. KAW