We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA apartment/safety/nightlife/Punta del Este

Seattle
1 post
Save Topic
BA apartment/safety/nightlife/Punta del Este

Hi - I'm a female in BA late Feb/eary March for a few days with my boyfriend and then another two weeks alone. I'm looking at www.byteargentina.com at the available apartments, and I am focusing on Recoleta barrio. If there are any streets/areas within this barrio that are unsafe (i.e. no walking around at night, or walking alone as a woman), I'd be so grateful if someone would let me know.

I'm planning on visiting Colonia, definitely, but am wondering if Punte del Este is also worth the trip? Or - Are there any good beaches closer to BA that one of you could recommend?

Also - I am interested in checking out the goth/industrial/darkwave scene there, and have visited gothicba.com for a listing of clubs. Anyone have any first-hand experience in this area? What's a good street/area for clubs of this genre?

Thanks so much for your help!

New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: BA apartment/safety/nightlife/Punta del Este

Hi, I am a 28 yr old female and just came back from BA and Punta del Este - I went with 6 of my girlfriends from Jan. 28th - Feb. 6th. Although we did not stay in Recoleta, we hung out there a couple of nights and were fine. The area of Recoleta in BA is very nice and safe. I can't tell you which streets we were on but where we were was very safe.

Punta del Este is definitely worth the trip, although I don't know how warm it will be in late Feb/early March. I'm thinking still warm but not as hot as it was in January. It is very beautiful there and the nightlife is great...in January. After January/early February, it supposedly gets very quiet there. As for safety in Punta del Este, we felt very safe. Uruguay is one of the safest countries in the world. Again, you must still take the normal precautions, but I wouldn't worry too much.

I will say that not many people spoke English (both in BA and Punta del Este, but in particular Punta del Este) and I was very glad to have 2 fluent Spanish speaking friends with me.

Nightlife in BA...because of the fire they had at that concert back in December, the city of Buenos Aires closed all clubs indefinitely when we were there. There were still pubs/bars open, but anything with a disco/dance atmosphere was closed. I'm hoping that by the time you arrive there, some, if not all places, will be reopened.

Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
220 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA apartment/safety/nightlife/Punta del Este

Recoleta is not a barrio, it is part of Barrio Norte. The 2 best hotels for walking around at night there are the Etoile and Loi Suites. Colonia is small 1.2 day is enough. I just returned from Punta del Este. 5 hour trip by boat and bus...seemed like s/m to me. Recommend that you fly there. Beach is beautiful, but high rises are ugly. Mar del Plata is supposed to be nice, will go this weekend...5 hours by bus...I;m flying.

No info on goth scene. Lots more tango at 3 am if you need to stay up late.

See www.escapetoargentina.com for photos.