We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best restaurants in BA

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
The best restaurants in BA

The Trip Advisor staff has kindly agreed to "stick" a thread on Dining in BA, so that our recommendations won't simply disappear as new threads come along. Theoretically, No more "use the search under the green bar" posts will be necessary.

What I would like to do with this thread is to start a list of great restaurant experiences you have had during your stay in Buenos Aires. It would be good if we could agree to use a common format, beginning with the name of the restaurant, its street address (with cross streets, if possible), local phone, the zone in which the restaurant is located, and type of cuisine served in the restaurant.

Please comment on these four dimensions -- atmosphere, quality of food quality of service, and price per person, listing price of wine seperately.

Ok, here we go....

289 replies to this topic
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
251. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Adi,

I started this thread back in March 2006 by saying:

In some parts of the Spanish speaking world the word "carne" is the generic term for meat of all sorts. Not so in Argentina. To Porteños "carne" is synonomous with beef, which they proudly proclaim is the best in the world. Indeed, the grass fed beef from the Pampas produces some of the most succulent, flavorful steaks found anywhere. While vegetarians are excused, a visit to a parrilla is a must for visitors wanting a great steak and a greater appreciation of Argentine culture."

It was true then and its true now. Glad you were able to find a private door restaurant to enjoy steak and other goodies that are part of a traditional Argie parilla. Sadly, the quality of meat has gone downhill in many restaurants as part of a shift from grass fed to feedlot beef.

On the other hand....

Back in 2006, foodies were often disappointed with the variety of cuisine, which didn't do much to stretch culinary horizons. These days, there are numerous examples of innovative chefs turning out a wide variety of cuisine. You found one of the best!

Thanks for the report.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
174 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
252. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Agree, dr_dawggy -- grass fed makes a HUGE difference in taste, but in the states the price for grass-fed is becoming almost prohibitive. The economics of Argentina (however unfortunate for them as a nation) allow us tourists to have great culinary experiences for a fraction of the price we would pay elsewhere. And the closed-door dining (something that's also starting to pick up as a trend in the States) is definitely something worth experiencing (and not just from a culinary perspective)

best,

A

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
91 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
253. Re: The best restaurants in BA

So, why is this in "best restaurants"?

California
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
254. Re: The best restaurants in BA

My husband and I just ate at La Josefina in Palermo on 3006 Lafinur. We are staying in a apartment close by for 10 days and it was recommended by our apartment manager. The atmosphere is beautiful, modern painting with a old world feel restaurant, quaint and peaceful. Sebastian our wonderful waiter who spoke pretty good English help us a bit with the menu. Menu was written in English and Spanish. This was our first parrilla that we have eaten at in BA after walking for hours all day visiting the sites. We both shared the Josefina provaletta for our appetizer, grilled cheese with tomatoes, olives and arrugula. Amazing! We both had the huge rib eye steak with potatoes, a bottle of Malbec wine, bread pudding, two waters in a bottle, two coffees for less than $60 including tip. We brought most of the meal home since we could not eat it all. This meal would be well over $100 in California.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
255. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Thought I'd cross-post just the restaurant recommendations from my Oct 13 Trip Report.

Pork belly. A couple of years ago I wrote about a joint in barrio Flores that served up a killer pork belly hash, hoping that trend would continue. Fast forward two years and there wasn’t a restaurant we ate at that didn’t feature a pork belly entrée! This year, there seems to be more and more “imports” happening – NOLA, Kansas and others bringing some city’s featured cuisine and importing it lock, stock, and barrel – along with the “personality” of the chef/proprietor (think Universal theme park establishments). There is also an abundance of new hamburger/hot dog joints – I’m sure local bloggers have posted reviews and comments of same if that’s of interest . . . me, I’ll stick with the chorizo stand across the street from the zoo. And, of course, more wonderful offerings from established chefs/kitchens – Martin Rebaudino (Oviedo/Roux), Martin Molteni (Pura Tierra/Marieta), Gonzalo Aramburu (Aramburu/Bis), Jean Baptiste Pilou (La Bourgogne/Fleur de Sel) etal. So, if you tire of Argentine parrilla dining (which is excellent when done right) on your visit to this wonderful city, here are a few winners I’d put forward for your consideration:

La Crespo | Thames 612, Villa Crespo | There are some things in life that are so good, that when you crave them, you will move heaven and earth (or jump on an airplane) to satisfy that irresistible urge. That itch. A hot pastrami (también llamado pastrón) sandwich is one of those things in my world. And this is a place we’d been to years ago that we knew could satiate that craving. It’s not Langer’s Deli pastrami, but it ain’t bad. This small deli is in a great part of town. Get out of the tourist-centric areas and spread your wings! Villa Crespo is a wonderful area to explore and right next door to SoHo. And when you’re feeling a wee bit peckish, La Crespo is a terrific pit stop - great deli items, delicious baked goodies and desserts (a wonderful cheesecake) and, of course, an incredible hot pastrami sandwich. Get your lunch for take out and walk over to Parque Los Andes to chow down. You’ll feel like you’ve died and gone to Buenos Aires. Recommended.

BoBo Hotel & Restaurant | Guatemala 4870, Palermo | We have always loved this place. Great food, atmosphere and service. It’s getting harder and harder to experience that bohemian pastiche that the cobble-stoned streets of Palermo once evoked, but step inside this oasis and you are magically transported back in time and place. This is as good as it gets in the neighborhood. “An authentic BoBo lives in between the creativity and spontaneity of the Bohemians and the discipline of hard work and aim for prosperity of the bourgeoises.” The Brotola Soufflé will bring tears to your eyes. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Highly Recommended.

Marieta | Cerrito 22, Microcenter | We have a lot of (foodie) friends in the city. 3 or 4 years ago a few of them turned us on to Martin Molteni’s restaurant, Pura Tierra, out in barrio Belgrano. Superb, upscale, locally sourced food with awesome presentation and front of house skills. We fell in love with the place. Well, he’s back with another opening, this time in the heart of the city. And, dare I say, even better! There isn’t much description necessary if you’ve heard of or are aware of Martin Molteni. Creative regional/seasonal dishes with the freshest ingredients, exquisite presentation, lovely décor, great waitstaff and while a little pricey, lunch is more than affordable for a taste of the good life. Simply put, this is how the big boys and girls run a restaurant. Open for lunch and dinner. Get there if you can.

Las Violetas | Rivadavia Ave 3899, Almagro | This is an old, old (historical landmark) traditional high society coffeehouse that suffers from a deployable lack of edible food, an anemic wine list and an unsophisticated, unworldly waitstaff. But what it does have is worth going for – an outrageously beautiful setting for high tea; with gorgeous stain glassed windows, an ornate bar and every bit of “high tea ambiance” that drips unapologetically from its storied and coffered interior. If you like Café Tortoni, El Ateneo Bookstore and the Alvear Palace Hotel, then put this on your ‘to do’ list. A classic and priceless slice of Porteños memorabilia. Highly recommended.

NOLA | hmmmm . . . how do I put this politely? You know that fried chicken sandwich stand at the Melrose Place Farmer’s Market here in Los Angeles? The one on Sunday mornings? Way better fried chicken. Just sayin . . . y’all.

Fleur de Sel | La Pampa 3040, Belgrano | This is a ‘must visit’ on the trail of great restaurants in the city. One of the best we’ve had the pleasure to dine at. Helmed by Jean Baptiste Pilou, former chef of La Bourgogne, Fleur de Sel is decidedly French, with a dash of foam, and a generous helping of local, seasonal ingredients from an impressive stable of suppliers, which adds up to new interpretations of known regional favorites, impeccable service and a very classy atmosphere, where the clings of wine glasses seem to resonate for an extra half-second. Desserts of the highest order. If it isn’t at or near the top of “best of” restaurants in the city right now, it will be in short order. Open for dinner. Get there if you can.

Pucará | Senillosa 493, Caballito | This is a humble (and I say that with the utmost respect), family-style restaurant that serves delicious Spanish cuisine, in a relaxed but attentive atmosphere. From whole fish entrees to their incredibly fresh and vibrant paella, this is a great spot to dine at. It brought back to my mind the flavors from Valencian dishes I had years ago in the region where I first learned to read and write Spanish. But, the Mediterranean coast isn’t the only influence, as some of the recipes have a decidedly Galician pedigree, so there’s an interesting mix of Spanish cuisine on the menu and it’s all very, very good. For those who have been to BsAs before, this is also a unique kind of place to dine in the city, as it’s a decidedly Spanish clientele (as in, ex-pat Spaniards). The only caveat I’d make, obviously, is that you would probably be more comfortable if you have some grasp of Spanish, because that’s the only lingua franca at this maravilloso poco restaurante. Open for lunch and dinner. Highly recommended.

Sucre | Sucre 676, Belgrano | We had the best of intentions when we drove out to Belgrano. Last year we got take-away deli items at Cucina Paradiso (excellent), and decided this year to dine in at their restaurant. But when we got out of the car, we looked at each other, and simultaneously said, “Sucre”. Hey, even with the best of intentions, great food can easily sway the mind. Sucre - go to see the beautiful people, go to be impressed with the post-modern industrial lay-out, go to gawk at the wine cellar – but stay for the food. After all these years, it is still putting out some of the best dishes in the city. It doesn’t get much better than when you dig into their Risotto Osso Buco. Open for lunch and dinner. Get there if you can.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
256. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Very helpful post, thanks, will keep far away from Paladar

Edited: 8:14 pm, November 25, 2014
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
257. Re: The best restaurants in BA

We are heading to BA at the end of January 2015...Renting an apartment in the Recoletta and would like other recommendations

258. Re: The best restaurants in BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 pm, July 27, 2015

259. Re: The best restaurants in BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 pm, July 27, 2015

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
260. Re: The best restaurants in BA

We had a lot of really great meals in BA, most were very reasonably priced. Adentro Dinner Club was a unique experience, but you must make a reservation in advance. You are welcomed into their home and fed a delicious homemade feast.

Other good eats: Cumana, Guerrin (pizzeria), Parrilla Don Julio, I latina (tasting menu, reservations a must), Sotto Voce (fantastic service and food), Arkakao for the best gelato (get the dark chocolate orange!)

Reply to: The best restaurants in BA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted