We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires - day trips

London
9 posts
Buenos Aires - day trips

Hi - I will be in Buenos Aires for 10 days on business with one free weekend in between. I have been once before and seen some areas of the city including San Telmo, Palermo and the Casa Rosada. Are there any other areas recommended - particularly for evenings?

What day trips would you recommend for my weekend? Is it worth a trip to Montevideo or Punta del Este in Uruguay? I have been to Colonia before. Any other towns or places out of the city of BA to see something different e.g. by train or bus? I hear Tigre is worth a visit?

Any tips much appreciated! I travel later this week. Gracias!

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

Hello Wanderer,

You could go to Puerto Madero, Las Cañitas and Palermo Soho for nightlife.

Dinner and tango shows in San Telmo as well.

The Tigre / Delta area is great for a day trip.

I wouldn't spend a week end in February in Montevideo (leave a big city for another city in this heat?). You could go to Punta del Este: slightly fewer people than in Juanuary but still full season, expensive but good beaches and great nightlife.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
2. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

My choice would be the Tigre/Delta for a day trip. You would definitely need to stay the night in Montevideo ar you won't have time to visit anything on a day trip.

London
9 posts
3. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

Hola Verobaires!

Great thanks for that gives me some different options for evenings... are they all 'safe' areas? I'll be travelling alone some of the time...

Great - and is Tigre better by train would you say?

Would love to see some countryside away from the big towns but looks like most options are too far for a daytrip from BA?

Good point re Montevideo - looks like Punta del Este is a long way do you think it can be done in a day or would you recommend the whole weekend? Looks like you can get the Buquebus though maybe expensive?

Also if you know of any good organised tours that would be great? I'll have a look in more detail at the places you suggest.

Muchas gracias! :-)

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

Wanderer, all the areas I have mentioned are considered safe, San Telmo by night might be the trickiest, still plenty of tourists go there.

Tigre by train is fine (see previous entries in the forum for "normal" train vs Tren de la Costa)

Punta del Este is no good for a day trip. You should go there for at least the weekend, IMO. You can take the ferry to Montevideo and then a bus to Punta del Este, all sold by Buquebus. You could also consider flying direct with Pluna.

I'll leave suggestions on organised tours for those who know better.

norfolk
Level Contributor
75 posts
138 reviews
5. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

Try a day out in La Plata, lovely cathedral and parks etc. 1 & half hours from Constituition railway station. Trains run about every half hour and only 4.40 peso return ticket!!

London
9 posts
6. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

Great stuff guys I think Tigre and La Plata are looking good for weekend day trips will check out the train times - I agree will leave Montevideo/Punta del Este for another trip when I can spare the whole weekend! Thanks very much!

Australia
Level Contributor
392 posts
181 reviews
7. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

We'd like to make a day trip to La Plata by commuter bus.

I understand that we catch buses at the bus station near Retiro train station.

Also that we can catch the 129 in Av 9 de Julio. Is there a stop near Obelisco? Directions appreciated.

Most important question How do we pay for tickets?

We have used coin-only ticket machines on local buses for short trips. Can't imagine having enough coins to pay for the much longer trip to La Plata.

We speak no Spanish and have managed so far to communicate with bus

drivers by pointing to our destination on a street map or by handing driver a piece of paper with our destination written on it. And smiling a lot as we say "Gracias".

Appreciate the help of the experts.

8. Re: Buenos Aires - day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 11, 2013