We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exercise: For Body and Tongue

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Exercise: For Body and Tongue

We are starting our third week in Buenos Aires, and are feeling like (casi) Portenos.

I am set up with my exercise group, CURVES, the one I attend at home with an International Travel Pass to Curves anywhere - and right here in Palermo is the one for me. Last year the folks at Curves in Palermo were hospitable and kind - this year they remembered me and are treating me like an old friend. As the equipment is exactly the same world wide - I am set (to work some of the butter off the duck - in this case the duck is mostly bife, empanadas and helado).

Tongue exercises, in the form of our Spanish lessons are going really well. We have engaged our talented and creative teacher from last year, Gabriela Farrante www.gabrielaferrante.com

This year Gabriela has devised a terrific plan for our studies: Once a week, she comes to our apartment and DH and I each have one hour of private time on a mix of whatever area of Castillano we need most: Grammar, Conversation, Pronunciation, etc.

The second day of each week the three of us go on a little adventure - talking Spanish all the way. Once we walked into Palermo Hollywood to an organic Deli owned by an Englishman ex pat, and as we had coffee and scones in the Deli, we read an article about his decision to move to Buenos Aires and become an entrepreneur. This was so neat.

Today we took the colectivo #60 to Belgrano and found it fascinating to walk in that lovely, calm neighborhood with so many embassys and distinctive architecture. We discovered some interesting statuary and well-tended gardens, too. Gabriela also gave us some history along the way. Then we stopped at Maru Botana, a charming cafe, and had coffee and torta de manzana (muy rico) as we read an entrevista about Maru Botana. These outings are so instructive and helpful, and fun and, it turns out, quite tasty !

So we have been busy, among other pursuits, exercising our language and our bodies.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Palermo
Palermo
5,273 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo Hollywood
Palermo Hollywood
211 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Maru Botana
Maru Botana
182 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

Marnie, your reports are terrific!

Good to learn you are enjoying Buenos Aires so much.

(I should start attending Curves, after too many visits to Maru Botana's in the past ...)

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
BA
Level Contributor
709 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

Marnie

great posts! wheres the organic deli in Palermo Hollywood? I thought I knew all the organic / vegetarian /raw places in my hood (and there are lots!!!).....but I dont know one owned by an English man....name, coodinates please!

Mentioned in this post
Palermo Hollywood
Palermo Hollywood
211 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,383 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

Today was a good day to be in Belgrano, those shady streets are so very lovely.

There is a Maru Botana in Recoleta if you get a hankering and don't want to take a longer trip .. on Ayacucho between between Guido and Quintana .. on the same side as the school.

We used to have tea there often in the cold months .. wonderful .

Mentioned in this post
Maru Botana
Maru Botana
182 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Recoleta
Recoleta
18,869 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

Vero, Gracias.

Patitoaway, we went to El Natural Deli in Barrio Norte - Laprida 1672. I have a terrible sense of direction, so somehow Barrio Norte morphed into Palermo Hollywood... lo siento. There are 2 other branches: one in La Cañitas (Gorostiaga 1776) and one in Palermo Botanico (Rep. Arab Siria 3001) but they are quite a bit smaller, I understand. We found some nice products for our kitchen, and thought the scones and coffee were of very good quality.

And Gabriela is Gabriela FERRANTE, as one could tell from her Website.

Mentioned in this post
Barrio Norte
Barrio Norte
82 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo Hollywood
Palermo Hollywood
211 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo
Palermo
5,273 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
BA
Level Contributor
709 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

ahh, yes. i know natural deli and its owner, I go there sometimes and get some goodi. i just could not ese you described...

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

Thanks, Scarlet. We will be on the lookout for it - really excellent Tortas and Tartas, too.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

Marnie, my dear.....You do have a knack for interesting titles! I think you missed your calling.

Love your posts and am SO glad you are having a great time.

Cheers, Ronnie

8. Re: Exercise: For Body and Tongue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, March 16, 2013