We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plug adapter for Argentina

Stratham, NH
Level Contributor
106 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
plug adapter for Argentina

I understand that Argentina operates on 220 volts whereas the US operates on 110volts. Is the plug adapter the same as for Europe with 2 round thick pins? Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
398 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

no its the same plug as used in Aust looks like this \ / (ie straight pins but on 45deg angles)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

We didn't need an adaptor as they have 2 types and one is the same as Europe with 2 round pins.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

If you are unable to find the adaptor at home, then not to worry. You can purchase one in Argentina for very cheap. There are Ferreterias(hardware stores) on every block which have them.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

And vendors sell them on the streets in some neighborhoods. We had no problems with finding such materials.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

If you want to buy them before you leave try Meritline.com. They sell all kinds of adapters in little kits for a dollar or two...shipped...from China of course. Work well with my electronics. I have found the two pin one you mentioned can be accomodated by lots of the plugs in BA. They often have a receptacle with the angled blade plug as was mentioned but at the top ot the ange you often find the two holes. But the kits from meritline have both varieties you can stick your US plug into .

Stratham, NH
Level Contributor
106 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. It looks as if my converter kit has the two round pins and the straight pins at the 45 degree angle so that I think we are all set.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

Most electronics from the US do not require a voltage converter...just a plug adapter. They run or charge just fine on the 220 Argentine power. These include:

Laptop

Cell Phone Charger

Digital Camera or Camcorder Charger

IPAD, IPOD and other tablet/MP3/PDA charger

Nook - Kindle charger

Etc.

Just about any electronic device produced in the past several years supports 110 or 220 voltage. You just need the plug adapter. Of course check your power adapter and the manufacturer's website to make sure.

If you plan on bring a hair dryer, travel iron or an alarm clock or something of that nature you will be better off buying one at a local appliance store..there are tons of them all around Buenos Aires.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

Hi Stratham!

Argentine electrical outlets are unique. They're not the two flat, parallel blades like we use in North America. They're not the two round pins used in Europe either. The closest approximation is the two flat blades oriented at a 60-degree angle to one another (like a \ / shape), like Australia, but even the Australian plugs don't fit exactly.

Some converter kits sold in North America will have an Australia adapter, and I'd suggest you get one. You'll need it anyway. If your North American-bought kit doesn't work, you'll buy an Argentine adapter in Argentina.

Argentina uses 220-volt current, which is twice as intense as the 110 we're used to in North America. If you were to plug in a 110-volt shaver, for instance, you'd hear a higher pitched whine than you're used to as the appliance works twice as hard as it is designed for, and you might burn it out.

The transformer that comes with your converter kit will reduce the 220-volt Argentine current to 110 that our North American appliances can bear.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

Here is a picture of the plugs you'll find most frequently in Argentina.

http://www.otae.com/enchufes/TipoI.htm

Older buildings still have the ones with the two round pins which are (as Capetien pointed out) thinner than the European ones.

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: plug adapter for Argentina

Found a picture of the second (older) model:

http://www.otae.com/enchufes/TipoC.htm