We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Buenos Aires

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Buenos Aires

We have four clear days in Buenos Aires and really want to see the main areas. We are architects and particularly interested in looking at the beautiful old buildings and enjoying outdoor restaurants and people watching. We also love walking - not too fond of taking public transport in a strange city. So where should we stay. Is Palermo cut off or is this reasonably central?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

Palermo is definitely sort of isolated... plus, IMO, the architecture is really nothing to write home about (lots of houses and newish, cookie-cutter buildings with little charm.) I think some of the most beautiful architecture in the city is along Avenida de Mayo and in San Telmo, but I wouldn't want to sleep there. The best area for your interests might be Recoleta, which has some lovely buildings and is within walking distance of several neighborhoods (Centro/Congreso, Barrio Norte, Alto Palermo.)

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

Hello RoseandJon,

As you mentioned Palermo, I will start by saying it is not far away from the main interest areas, and that it does have indeed many outdoor restaurants.

I recommend the area within the limits of República de la India, Coronel Díaz, Av. Las Heras and del Libertador Avenue.

You also referred to “beautiful old buildings”. Those are mainly in the Recoleta area, and are mostly Haussmann – era buildings. Recoleta is very traditional and upscale, and you will also find very good outdoor restaurants just in front of Recoleta cemetery (yes, the cemetery area is one of the most beautiful and touristic areas of Buenos Aires).

You will certainly want to visit Palacio Barolo, the first offices building in Buenos Aires, which was designed following inspiration on Dante’s Inferno. Quite an architectural landmark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palacio_Barolo

The first building with great architectural value that comes to my mind in Palermo is “Palacio de los Patos”:

…blogspot.com/2009/12/exquisite-palace-of-bu…

Hope this thoughts are of some help.

And enjoy Buenos Aires, wherever you choose to stay!

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

Not to be missed: "La Isla" ( photos 6 - 11):

www.urbanfreak.net/showthread.php…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

I am very interested in architecture and carry a camera with me most days.

I live in Recoleta and never run out of wonderful buildings and streets and sights to photograph. ( Not to mention the gothic beauty of the Cemetery)

We walk from our home in Recoleta to Palermo often. You will walk through parks and past some of the most amazing wonderful homes and buildings.

…tumblr.com/tumblr_ltul0i7ns81qgju3co1_250.j…

…tumblr.com/tumblr_ls3f8mTJ5X1qgju3co1_250.j…

I so agree about Palacio Barolo !

Definitely go to San Telmo one day, wander the main area, Defensa, have lunch, window shop and enjoy the Art Nouveau in the windows and enjoy the architecture .. Old World South America..

…tumblr.com/tumblr_lvns7dCwtu1qgju3co1_500.j…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

vero, that last building is being cleaned and has been wrapped in netting for over 4 months now ! I love that building and cannot wait to see how it looks when they are finished.

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

Let's hope RosandJon are not coming right away, then!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

Thank you all for such a wealth of information. We had booked a hotel (Bobo) in Palermo but we were wondering if we had done the right thing and should change our booking to somewhere in Recoleta. However, it is probablly too late now as most hotels would be full.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

A note of caution. Be careful when walking about in all neighborhoods especially with indicia of tourists, e.g. map in hand, camera visible, looking up at buildings as obvious sightseers, etc. This is especially true in San Telmo. Some parts of that barrio are relatively unsafe. There are quite a few abandoned buildings with squatters, druggies, and unsavory types lurking about.

Be mindful that purse snatchers often work in pairs utilizing a motorcycle to make a quick snatch and escape. All other things being equal, it's best to walk up one way streets towards oncoming traffic making it harder for such thieves to approach from the rear.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

RosandJon, we almost stayed at the Bobo when we visited BA for the first time. I love the way it looks and the neighborhood is fine.

You will be all over the city anyway, so don't worry about the "right thing" .. it is a good area .

scarface gives good advice, it applies to all of Buenos Aires, unfortunately.

Thieves don't care if you are a tourist or local, if the opportunity arises, they will take advantage of it... so just be careful with your purse/money .

I doubt you will be anywhere near the San Telmo areas that are mentioned .. staying on Dorrego and Defensa will give you plenty to look at and enjoy ..

Have fun !

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
522 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Buenos Aires

We just returned from a 20 day Argentina/Uruguay trip and we stayed 2 nights at the beginning in Recoleta (Ayres Recoleta Plaza, room #703) and 2 nights at the end in Palermo (Synergie, room #302). Hands down, we both liked Recoleta better and when we return to BA we will stay at the Ayres Recoleta Plaza again.