We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in BA, what to do?

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in BA, what to do?

I will be in BA for 5 days in October, my father is from BA and Iwas there once when I was 7, 20 years ago. I loved it as a kid and cannot wait to share it with my wife. Iwill probably see my relatives one of the days, go shopping, etc., but what else should I really experience in BA? I am waiting for the arrival of the Frommers BA book (which I chose over a few other books) Any thoughts would be great.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

Do some sightseeing, visit all the different neighborhoods (Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Cañitas, San Isidro, etc.) Go to the various markets - San Telmo, Mataderos, Plaza Francia, etc. Walk around, explore, shop, go to museums, go to Tigre, take a boat trip. Have fun!!

Harper, Kansas
Level Contributor
486 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

United Airlines magazine, Hemispheres, has a series called "Three Perfect Days in.......". This month it's Turin. A couple months ago it was Buenos Aires. I found the article on the magazine's web site. One person's opinion, but interesting ro read. I purchased the Frommer's guide, too, as well as Time Out, which has not arrived yet. I may cancel that one, since I've heard it's just a re-issue, not an update as of Nov '05, but I hear a lot of advice to get the magazine Time Out from your hotel when you get to BA. The Moon guide book gets lousy reviews on Amazon (not the Argentina guide, but the BA guide).

I bet your relatives will keep you busy once you get there. Have a great trip.

Skipaway

55 days til I get to go!

Dublin, ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

Do you know what the weather is meant to be like in October? We were thinking of going for our Honeymoon.

Orla

Dublin, Ireland

New York City
Level Contributor
594 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

Orla.....

See the thread "More weather questions"

There are good answers to your question.

Tio Pepe ;-)

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

My husband and I went to BA last year in September. It was the end of the winter, still cold. In October it should be nice. I enjoyed the most a visit to a farm, "Estancia Santa Susana" (best meat, wine, horse back riding, even a show). The day trip to El Tigre is beautiful and unique. For nightlife go to Puerto Madero. We liked the tango-dinner show at "El Viejo Amacen" but the food was just ok. The city tour included in our trip was really good since we visited all the neighbothoods and "must see" like Caminito, football stadium, The Pink House, etc. If you have a chance to visit the Iguazu falls, it is worth it.

Dublin, ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Its so difficult picking somewhere to go when there are so many wonderful places. Wish we had more time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

I'm in Buenos Aires now finishing 10 days here with 2 of those in Iguazu.

We met an American, living now in BsAs, with an Argentine husband how operate a tienda in La Boca. She recommended a tango show calle Esquina Homero Manzi. We are going tonight. She says this is the show that Portenos go to when they go to a tango show. Everything else is touristy. (Diversion for a pet peeve: Everything lately feels like it is designed / operated by Disney -- am I getting old? jaded?)

Anyhow, I would recommend a city tour on day 1 to orient you.

Then do what feels nice. We stayed first in the Recoleta neighborhood near the cemetary. What a great neighborhood. So much good food and ambience.

We spent a midday in La Boca and had fun.

We went to several museums -- keep your expectations in check, this is not Paris, London or Rome.

We did the day trip to Colonia, Uruguay. I would not recommend it. It was extremely hot and humid the day we visited. The place is fairly lovely but it has little to do beyond a 2-3 hour tour. Now, if the time allowed, a day there with a night at a nice hotel could offer a delightful trip. The Buquebus return is chaotic at the terminal but their service is quite good.

8. Re: 5 days in BA, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 pm, February 25, 2006