We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday ranch

New York City
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday ranch

My dear friends;

On my next trip to BA, I'm traveling with two associates (no jokes poeple, be nice).

They are from Houston, and they would like to visit an Estancia on one of the Sundays we are there.

I konw I can use the bar, but here's the question. They are looking not only for the ranch, they would like to walk around a small town, see the people, horses, etc.

I visited Santa Susana, it looked like Disneyland. "Gauchos, empanadas, tango, malambo, all in small dosis. The inly missing things where the commercials in between shows.

There will be 4 of us total that day.

I hope you can capture what is that I'm looking for.

If we go to the Mataderos fair, would we capture the escence of the people?

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday ranch

Mataderos is way fun, and may be what you want....certainly there is less glitz and more fun than Santa Susana, which I have also visited.....

Another option....go to San Antonio de Areco and spend sometime going to the small church on the plaza downtown, visit the silversmith's shop on the other side of the plaza, grab a soft drink or aqua con gas and sit on a bench beneath the trees and people watch....there is a shop nearby that specializes in chocolates (yummy)...and then go to one of the nearby Estancias, such as ones you will find by doing a search....

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday ranch

Doc, do you know how the men in Mataderos and San Antonio de Areco salute each other? I believe nygaby may want to know....

Perhaps that's what he means by the "escence" (sic) of the people.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday ranch

Gabe looking for Gaychos not Gauchos ..?

(Joking)...Gabe we all know you are a Gauchito man :))))

Try Los dos hermanos and ask Pancho to take you to the old bread store in Escalada, try to visit the estancia on a week days not on sat or sundays.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday ranch

Mataderos, however, depends on time of year. During the mid fall through early spring, it is a Sunday fair that goes on all day, and is great fun. You'll certainly get some essence of the gaucho traditions, music, dance, and food, though it isn't by any means like visiting an estancia or the countryside - it's a suburban park and streets that are taken over for the fair - and includes all the usual fair stuff like arts and crafts booths, etc.

The rest of the year, during the summer season, for example now, it's a Saturday evening, late, event, and is mostly music and dance performances - all the mingling with people bit sort of disappears.

For more info on it:

http://www.feriademataderos.com.ar/

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday ranch

For a more classy, upscaled estancia try Villa Maria in Carlos Paz

http://www.estanciavillamaria.com/

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday ranch

Doing Santiagov's job, the website for the dos hermanos estancia is:

http://www.estancialosdoshermanos.com/

However, there is no info in it about how men salute each other there.

New York City
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday ranch

Guys, the y are going to delete us if you continue with the Gaychos thing.

Remember, you are the ones that kiss each other not me.

Av how did you know about the way Gaychos salute each other?

Can we just all get along? Can we just be friends?

All I'm asking is information from the experts.

Santi where is Carlos Paz? Can we do it in a day, and go back to the Hotel?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday ranch

Hi, nygaby!

1) how about entering the Villa María website, pressing location and reading it is only 56 Km from town and therefore easily done in a day?

2) Who says I know "about the way Gaychos salute each other"?

3) You say: "All I'm asking is information from the experts." Well you got it. It took me a few seconds with the terrible phone connection I'm using from our beautiful South and it would have taken you milliseconds with a good connection.

Have a good time in Argentina and be sure to capture the "escence" (sic) of the people. LOL!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday ranch

Santi, you are naughty! I'd be more worried that Gabe's Texas 'associates' are 'republicanos' joke!

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday ranch

Dtin:

No preferences regarding Republicans, Democrats, Taoists or Gaychistas,Catholics, Chavistas or whatever .......

There is NICE and GOOD people and the rest....AND their $$$$$$$$$$$$$ :))))