We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling by boat from Miami to Buenos Aires

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Barbara
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling by boat from Miami to Buenos Aires

Does anyone have information regarding a one way boat trip...I want to bring my dog.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling by boat from Miami to Buenos Aires

I have researched this topic myself just for fun. I wanted to see if other options exist for a trip from the USA to Argentina.

There are some freighters that carry passengers and they travel from the USA to Buenos Aires stopping at a variety of ports along the way. There are couple of websites devoted to this type of travel. Not for everyone that is for sure. Slow and somewhat expensive. I would assume a dog would be allowed.

There are lots of cruises in and around Argentina but all the ones I have found originate in South America somewhere. So you have to get from the US to South America which is the problem. They start in either Argentina, Chile, Brazil, etc. There are some grand around the world cruises that originate in the US but Buenos Aires is just one dozens of stops and the prices are in the tens of thousands. Not sure if you and fido could hop on for part of the trip or not. I will keep looking. Knowing me I am probably missing something obvious and there is a cheap, convenient boat trip to BA but so far I can't find anything.

The other option of course is to drive. There theroretically exists the Pan American Highway. A continuous stretch of highway from Alaksa to Tierra del Fuego. The passage through central america is a hassle and there are parts that disappear in jungle in Venezuela. Then you have Colombia which is kidnap city. There are two books out on motorcyclists who tried to travel the whole length. One had his bike shipped from Central America to Peru skipping the bad parts of the "highway". The other tried to go the whole way and got grabbed by Colombian rebels and held for ransom. He escapes and completes the ride to the end of Argentina. If anyone is interested I will post the titles.

Your best bet may to have your pooch suck it up and sit in a hold for 12 hours. Maybe a light tranquilizer for dinner. Once in Argentina you guys can figure out how to get around. Not sure if busses and trains allow dogs. Good luck.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling by boat from Miami to Buenos Aires

hmmm...guess too complicated ...I would think in a "Peluche pet"..much easier :))

"Rental Dogs BA" might be a good "biz" Veritas ?

Joke ... no ofense

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling by boat from Miami to Buenos Aires

Try the webstie petstogo.com Cunard's QE2 accepts pets, but Iam not sure of the QM2 which is cruising off off South America right now.

The trip will take 30 days from either LosAngles or Miami and is considered 2 separate 14 days cruises. The cost can vary depending on the type os stateroom.

There are also steams as has previously been shared. This would take some researching with google.

Cheers!!!

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling by boat from Miami to Buenos Aires

senasa.gov.ar/sanidad/ca/procedimiento.php

You may find the Senasa PDF file on the right of the web site (regarding imports of cats n dogs)

sorry only in spanish..

I would ask a TA regarding your dog...