We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning Spanish in BA

HK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Learning Spanish in BA

I am interested in studying spanish in BA for about 2 months. Anyone has suggestion and experience of where I should go?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learning Spanish in BA

When I first came to BA, it was to study Spanish, so I'll give you recommendations based on my own experience. I rented a furnished apartment in Palermo through the agency ByT Argentina. I used them 3 times total, and I think they're a good option for a newcomer. The agents are professional and English-speaking, the apts. look as the pictures promise, and you can rest assured that you will receive your deposit back in full (which is not always the case with private rentals through Craigslist.) I think the densely-populated area of Palermo (around Santa Fe/Scalabrini Ortiz) is a great place to settle in, since it's safe, everything you need is within walking distance, and non-Spanish-speakers can easily get by.

For Spanish classes, I opted for a private tutor, and have been very happy with the results. Since the lessons are designed around you and no one else, it's just a more effective way of learning. Plus, a caring tutor will also act as sort of a guide, able to help you with directions, excursion recommendations/reservations, translation services, etc. My tutor is Gabriela Ferrante (www.gabrielaferrante.com.ar), whom I found through the recommendations of other students on these travel forums. She is highly experienced and holds classes in different cafes around the city, which is a nice way to see new places and practice your Spanish in real-life settings.

Or, if you want to socialize and meet new people while you are here, you might want a group class. I've heard excellent things about the Spanish class at UBA (http://www.uba.ar/ingles/foreign/spanish.php.), and that both the cost and the quality of teaching are the best in the city. Many of the "private institutes" in this town are kind of rip-offs, though, so you might want to speak to former students before enrolling in one, or wait until you arrive and are able to see the school in person. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
5,270 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
Province of Santa Fe, Argentina
Ortiz
Ortiz
255 Reviews
Parana, Argentina
HK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Learning Spanish in BA

Thank you sooooo much for your suggestion. I've been searching online lately and am not confident about those so-called institutes or colleges for foreigners so your ideas are very valuable to me. Muchas gracias!

HK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Learning Spanish in BA

Thank you sooooo much for your suggestion. I've been searching online lately and am not confident about those so-called institutes or colleges for foreigners so your ideas are very valuable to me. Muchas gracias!

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Learning Spanish in BA

It´s too bad that you are unable to study Spanish where you live. Have you thought about learning definitive Spanish.....in Spain?

5. Re: Learning Spanish in BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2011
;