We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires hotel location

New York, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Buenos Aires hotel location

Hi i've been reading these posts this week and found some very interesting things.

My boyfriend and I are traveling to BA Feb 2-12 from NYC, we are 30 & 32. I see that a lot of people recommend the Home Hotel or BoBo, what is the difference in those hotels and location to the hotels in the Microcento, right now we have reservations at the Claridge.

We also were thinking about taking the last 3-4 days in Mar Del Plata, however i have been reading about Iguazu so maybe we will do that.

i'd love to hear any responses and suggestions, and possibly have a tour by a "real porteno." i live in manhattan and i can imagine how many tourists that come here and go to cheesy restaurants and don't get to experience the real NY so i'd like some authentic experiences of what is "hot" in BA as well.

thanks!

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Rita said "The tourist trap restaurants are all mainly in Recoleta, San Telmo and the city centre. Some are good although very touristic and some are just plain terrible and a rip off"

Coudn´t agree more with Rita....

more and by extention many shops in those areas are exactly a tourist trap too. ( NOT all). Reina has posted some not touristy spots for lunch or dinner in dowtown or centro...also a area usually very touristy..

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Reina suggested in a upper post about considering buying a BA map for your trip planning to BA that will be very helpfull on tours, lodge, neighb., restaurants , etc ...in my opinion its a KEY tip for serious travelers you want to have a deeper knowledge on BA city .

Thanks Reina .

I personaly like a lot Time Out guide and magazine and with both and map you will get a excellent "tool" for a efficent pre visit plan.

I don´t want to mean other very popular guides are bad, its just my personal preference...Also found Moon guides for Argentina to have nice and personal info. from a Us American ( thats married to a Argentinian) that know well this country.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Santi

Once we got to BA is used the free map, The Golden Map, I got in the lobby of the Claridge. I carried it with me because it is less bulky and has the landmarks clearly defined at first glance. It is also easy to tell where the post offices are since they are identified by envelopes. I suppose the map is available at the major hotels.

Several of the restaurants also gave us maps of the Centro that aren't as detailed.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Reina: Yes I know ..seen the many maps at front desk´s in different hotels, what I meant was using the map while still at home for some planning....any person while in the street holding a map looks "Tourist" ...guess many travelers won´t like being identified that easy...

I am actually in Miramar going back to BA soon...the weather has been HORRIBLE the first 15 days of January...same as in BA...

Incredibly have found a few foreigners in Miramar ( The city of kids)! Swiss, Australians and some Mexicans, no US Americans (yet) !

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Santi

I have a personal rule of never looking at a map on the street. If we are really lost we will go into a coffee shop and sit down and study it. I was just suggesting to Chris that she will be able to get a paper map that is less bulky and more tourist friendly once she gets there. The map from Barnes and Noble is laminated so it is stiff and fairly bulky. With the free map I didn't mind folding it into a small square and tucking it out of the way. Sometimes I will take maps like that and cut them into smaller squares that cover where we are going that day. I do the same with guidebooks. I cut out the pages that apply. At the end of the trip I throw away the book. The money spent is well worth the time and money they save me.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Reina: If in a nice n safe neighb, you may ask people or cops..they generally will be helpfull and nice...and may enjoy a little chat too.

As Pierre Menard posted "if you want to meet Argys" just look lost at any BA St.:))).

Of course this is a tip for vistors that don´t mind risking a little... won´t do this in Paris... as surely will stay a full year at a Champs Elisse corner looking lost an none will stop :))

Pierre .. no offense... ! ( Have a few good French friends and relatives too)

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Santi

We found the same to be true in a restaurant. We were taking a long time looking at the menu and talking over what to get. Two gentlemen at a nearby table thought we didn't understand the menu and offered to help. It was very kind of them though our problem was making up our mind what we wanted to order.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Buenos Aires hotel location

Reina:

LOl..and did they help "making up your minds" ?

Argentinians have always feeled they live in the a** of the world , and at the same time at a best country in the world (!)...when there´s a chance to meet a foreigner many ones still wouldn´t loose it...and behave curious and generaly frindly ...guess this somehow comes from the old days when sailing ships arrived to BA pier... !