We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA in December- please help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BA in December- please help!

My sister and I are booked to spend 2 weeks in Argentina over Christmas and New Years, and are trying to plan a general itenerary-

We want to see Iguazu and were thinking of spending 2 days and 1 night there- is that enough time to see both the Brazilian side and the Argentine side? We're trying to save some money b/c we're keeping our BA apartment for the full 2 weeks- we'd take the early flight in and the late flight out the next day.. And we have Brazilian visas from last year still valid..

My second question is for New Years- We were thinking of going to Mar del Plata for two nights- maybe get some surfing in and hang around on the beach, and find a party later- because from my understanding New Years in BA is not that big a deal and a more family time- does that sound like a good idea or should we stay in BA or do something else? And will that leave us enough time to see BA?

Last, is there anything special happening during this time that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm so excited for our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires Sightseeing Tour
375 Reviews
from $24.00*
Buenos Aires Highlights Tour with...
258 Reviews
from $35.00*
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Tour, Tigre Delta...
152 Reviews
from $138.36*
$150.63
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Coach Sightseeing Tour...
70 Reviews
from $94.88*
$102.56
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA in December- please help!

Yes, you can see Iguazu in 2 days. Take the earliest flight for the 1st day then try to take the last flight back on the return so that you get the most out of the Falls.

Mar del Plata is fun for New Years, but remember you should book as soon as possible because much of BA will have the same idea.

The buses to MDP will book early,also so be sure and book as soon as you get to BA. This can be done at any of the travel agencies and kiosks in the city center. It is not necessary to go to Retiro bus terminal. Also, some of the lines allow online booking and telephone orders. www.omnilineas.com

Mentioned in this post
Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata
Retiro
Retiro
324 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA in December- please help!

Thanks!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
859 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA in December- please help!

Zahra,

Please bear in mind that travelling to Mar del Plata on Dec 30 or 31 will take you longer than usual (if you go by bus). Lots of people begin their anual holidays those days so the route is crowded.

Even though for me New Year is, as you said, a family celebration, you can either book fancy dinners at big hotels or restaurants for that night, most including shows, or you can certainly go to dance or party afterwards (I mean, after midnight). I can't say for sure, but I think the possibilities to do either thing are the same in Buenos Aires and in Mar del Plata.

Regarding Iguazú Falls, it is doable in two days if you are really resilient and quick about it. I would suggest two nights for a better experience.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA in December- please help!

Thanks so much Almatur

I didn’t even consider the difference in travel time, and we don’t want to spend the whole day on the bus! I think maybe we’ll spend 2 nights in Iguazu and forget about the beach this time.. I’m sure we’ll find something to keep us entertained for New Years

Thanks again!

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA in December- please help!

I have been in Mar del a few times on New Year's Eve and it is fun. It is a bit crowded but nothing like it is the day after New Years. One year 1000 buses left Retiro bus station in BA for Mar del on the 2nd of January. It is a 6 hour bus ride from BA. Pretty flat, featureless trip. Buses leave BA at all hours so you could time your trip for overnight...leave Retiro at midnight and arrive at dawn...many hotels will let you in your room when you arrive if it is available and all will certainly hold your luggage until check in.

Booking early is smart but frustrating in Argentina. Hotels there do not like to committ to prices very far in advance. Your availability search often comes up with no rooms available for your dates. They are not sold out they just are waiting until it is closer to the busy season to set their prices or they want you to call so they can quote you a price over the phone. There are tons of places in every price range in Mar del. On and off the beach area. Lots to do there....I did see surfers on empty stretches of beach south of a the city. You will need to research where you can surf and where you can rent a board..

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Retiro
Retiro
324 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Argentina
Argentina
South America
6. Re: BA in December- please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 04, 2011