We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

The question about yellow fever brought up a question I have. Why did they fumigate the plane just before we landed in Buenos Aires? There was an announcement that according to Argentine law they would be spraying for bugs. Then a steward went up and down the aisles spraying insecticide. Since I have a lot of allergies and am ultra sensitive to perfumes, smoke, etc. I wondered why they would take the risk that someone might have an allergic reaction or asthma attack. Why not wait until everyone is OFF the plane instead of just before we land. Were they worried that the passengers themselves were carrying bugs and were fumigating us? I have never had such an experience on a plane before. I was on LAN if that makes any difference.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
617 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

Funny I never had this experience upon landing in Buenos Aires but I have had to submit to it everytime we fly to Australia. They don't wait until you deplane because you could be harbouring something unwanted on your clothing or on your carry-on items.

BA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

I'm sorry for your experience (you have to recognize you tell the story in a funny way), even more wired is the fact that city authorities don't fumigate any 'hood on BA, so by the summer, mosquitos are by everywhere.

I'm mosquito alergic so I have to fumigate myself using "off"

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

Barent

I did not even realize that I had made a pun using the word OFF. I wish I was that clever. I wouldn't want to steal the Local Jester's spot on the BA forum. It is funny, though, isn't it?

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

I have read about flights being fumigated in the past but I don't recall the particulars. As I recall their origin was Africa or Asia not South America. I have flown into Argentina several times and never experienced this. That being said we should all remember that Argentina's economy, to a huge extent, is reliant on agriculture and cattle. Just mention the word "mad cow" in Argentina and people will just about pass out. Any bug, bacteria or parasite that jeopardizes these industries in Argentina is taken seriously. So depending on the origin of the flight. Remember the plan you take from the US may have begun its journey outside of the country or depending on updated warnings or recommended precautions from international health organizations they might spray a flight or two to be safe.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

Veritas : Yep, guess its just that key aspect (mad cow)+ Aftosa ( only from planes coming from Paraguay or southern Brazil)

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fumigating for Bugs on the Airplane

We boarded the plane in Santiago Chile but I don’t know where it may have originated.

When we arrived back in Miami, I overheard an inspector asking to see the shoes a couple had worn on a farm in Argentina. They were saying they were in a checked bag. I didn’t hear anymore of the conversation. It looked to me like he wanted them to get the bag and find the shoes.

That raises another question. If we had gone to an estancia would we be questioned by customs when we returned? Should you check the box on the customs form that you had been to a farm or would that technically be considered a farm?