We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Influence and Cervantes' Don Quixote in Argentina

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Influence and Cervantes' Don Quixote in Argentina

Person from Austria your thread was probably deleted because you wrote it in Spanish. Tripadvisor rules state that posts should be in English. I had typed a reply and when I went to post it the thread had vanished. But you raised an interesting question that I have been meaning to address so I have posted the gist of your question to get other people’s thoughts.

The topic raised was, "What influence has Cervantes had on Argentina. Do you see much of Don Quixote and Man of La Mancha in the tourist places?” The following is my answer I wrote before the thread was deleted.

Last month I went to the musical, "The Man of la Mancha" in Buenos Aires, which was fantastic. Other than the play, I did not notice any noticeable references to Cervantes anywhere in the two weeks we were in Buenos Aires, not that there are not any. I vaguely remember a billboard with the famous sketch of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. The most noticeable theme we saw was tango. It is everywhere and on everything having to do with tourists. During the two weeks we went to many of the major tourist sites in BA. We did not go out of Buenos Aires so I can’t comment on places other than the city.

I will also venture to say that I saw little influence of Spain other than the language, of course. I would describe Buenos Aires as more Italian. The Spanish they speak is with an Italian accent. Almost every restaurant we went to served Italian dishes along with beef. I did see some that had paella on the menu but more often they served pizza and pastas.

I have traveled to many Latin American countries and Argentina, or at least Buenos Aires, seems to be connected to its Spanish roots the least, in my opinion. The country that I could see the most influence still was Cuba.

A side note: My goal many years ago was to be able to read Don Quixote in Spanish and understand it. Maybe now is the time to get the book and begin. It seemed like an impossible dream when I was a child.

Well, now the “Impossible Dream” music is in my head from the play. I think I’ll now go find the book and a CD with the music in Spanish on line. What a great play that was.

ukiah
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Spanish Influence and Cervantes' Don Quixote in Argentina

RE;llanas post, (Spanish influence in Cuba)

Historically the Spanish influence in Cuba is undeniable, but in Havana I have had Meany people say culturally, they feel closer to the USA than Spain. There is a Cuban saying that illustrates this point; "The Spanish love Bull fighting the Cubans love Baseball".