We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

nc
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Questions and more questions

1. does the dollar have value

2. using Marriott points - hence staying there - is that an ok place?

3. enough to do - we have up to 2 weeks

4. safety concerns?

5. any help where to begin - THANKS in advance

nyc
Level Contributor
513 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

1. Yes -3 pesos, although some high end stores will provide you a better exchange rate if you pai in US dollars

2.Not familiar with the Mariott, look it up on the trip advisor hotel review area, there are many comments about it.

3. Well you can stay in BA a month and still have plenty to do. However, I recommend a trip to an estancia and/or Tigre so you get a little countryside mixed in with your city.

4. I always find it very safe and there are people on the streets at all time of night. Plus, in the areas the tourists are likely to visit, there are plenty of police(Recoleta, Puerto Madero, Plaermo and downtown). I have been there approx 14 x and have never had one incident, not even counterfeit bills, nothing.

5. Yes buy some guidebooks , The Lonely Planet and Frommers have the most up to date info.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Doledrums:

Agree w/ you except on point (5)

Time Out Buenos Aires is much more updated, both the guide and the magazine than the ones you mentioned.

(Try the last one for really updated info).

Matter of fact found Hotel Home in the last magazine.

I am almost sure its available in NYC.( Penguins)

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

I would get a pencil and a few pieces of paper. I would write on the top of one. Things to do and places to go. Another...where to eat. Another..important things to remember. Then I would systematically go through as many of the past posts here making notes of all the good stuff and recommendations. Then if you have questions ask away. Not to blow you off but there is a wealth of good advice here including lots of things to do with kids, how to stay safe, etc. You will love Argentina. Just go prepared. No need to stand in the middle of 9 del Julio staring around and wondering what do I do next. Good luck.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Following Veritas, I would recomend to buy 1 or 2 BA maps with clear names of the streets and numerations and mark with an X and ref., the key places you would like to get too.And plan your walking day.

EG: shooping, restaurants, attractions, walking tours, ...etc etc.

BA is a BIG and very spread city and needs to be walked with enough time to stop here and there for a cafe/ or whatever, as any other city; taxis only when dead tired.

So good legs and confortable walking shoes are a + .

Try learning some very basic spanish and use it whenever posible, locals like and enjoy foreigners that try to understand their culture and language and will almost always be more empatic to you.

Skip too many destinys as dead times always increases with more planes,Hotel check inns, etc. !

The web is another great source. Among others

Try :

welcomeargentina.com

interpatagonia.com

Use the green search bar of T. Advisor, and start traveling.

G. luck !

New York City
Level Contributor
594 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Woody:

The dollar & the euro are stronger here than almost anyplace else in the world (where you'd want to travel.)

The Marriott Plaza is a wonderful old world hotel on Plaza San Martin and in a lovely downtown area known as Retiro.

Buy a National Geographic laminated map of Buenos Aires at a local Barnes & Noble / Borders / B. Dalton bookseller. This map will provide sufficient detail (as suggested by Santi,) and will be an invaluable trip planning aid. If your 14 year old son/daughter/relation lives away from you, buy two (one for each) so you can have meaningful planning conversations.

Use the Time Out guide as a primary.....Frommer's/Fodor's/Moon as secondary.

Plan to spend a day at an Estancia.

The city is with 12 million persons (+/-) and its appropriate share of street crime. Stay in populated areas and you'll have no problem.

Force yourself and your fellow traveler to learn a bit of the political history of Argentina over the last 100 years in order to appreciate the context of the city.

Purchase beginning Spanish conversation CDs using the Pimsleur method (listening only...no reading or writing) in order to feel connected to the porteno (Castellano) culture. This is not a big investment, and it only requires 30 minutes a day for two weeks or so.

Keep in mind that many norteamericanos have invested or will invest in Bs As, and we are welcome in that city. Relax into the spirit of the place and your are guaranteed to have a good time.

Travel safely,

Joe in NYC

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Hey Joe ! You want to "steal" my BA expert thing :)))))). good points !

New York City
Level Contributor
594 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Santi:

You are my idol.

I think you are the perfect model of LOCAL EXPERT.

I don't want to steal anything, but I'm practicing to become a two city LOCAL EXPERT by slowly and carefully answering posts on the BA Forum and the NYC Forum. Just the very way you do it here.

One foot in front of the other.....it will take time.

I know NYC all my life, and in my trips to Bs As in the last two years I have fallen in love with the place. As you know, my wife and I have purchased an apartment and look forward to 3 months per year on Avenida Santa Fe.....but first we have to retire. Now we have a long term tenant in our place, so life is good.

Trip Advisor forums keep my mind active and engaged about both cities.

You will always be my first LOCAL EXPERT.

Regards from Sari.

Joe in NYC

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Joe; Just joking !.. while reading your last post was thinking ...WOW ! great n sharp points, Joe is becoming a BA expert !

Big kiss for Sari !

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

will visit you at NYC forum ..Had a long stay of 6/ 7 months in nyc back in 1975/6 ...

Never, ever went back ..guessing what are some key changes ...LOVED the city where had LOTS of fun and enjoyed New Yorkers in general. HAve they changed ? guess more NON US residents in the city now....

New York City
Level Contributor
594 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Father and 14 year old Summer 2006 First Time to BA

Santi:

A very simple and direct circumstance for you (and all others) to consider.

Even if it once was, NYC is no longer a melting pot.....it is now a mosaic.

There are, as in BA, people living there from EVERYWHERE.....and many are looking to live with/alongside their fellow countrymen.

Makes for an interesting dynamic.

Not less interesting than before, just different.

Woody:

Let us know how else we can help you. The readers of this forum represent a wealth of information.

Joe in NYC