We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locutorios-Internet Access in Buenos Aires

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Locutorios—Internet Access in Buenos Aires

We found many places in the Centro where you can access the internet and make phone calls. They are called locutorios. There seemed to be one on every block. Sometimes they are also a convenience store, selling soft drinks, candy, etc. Unfortunately, they sell cigarettes too and allow their clients to smoke while using the computers. Some of the locutorios had a non-smoking section. One is particular on Florida was non-smoking. I wish I had noted the address since it was the exception. For about 30 minutes on the internet it was one peso ($.30 US) The speed was very fast on every one we went to.

The locutorios that had phones had the phones in booths away from the smoke. I believe it cost about $5 US for about 20 minutes to the US when my husband called his mother.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locutorios—Internet Access in Buenos Aires

Remember you are using a public computer. Use public web access wisely. Be careful about checking on any financial accounts or other password protected information you don't wish to share. If possible when you are done go to the top line of the browser -select Tools- Options and delete the history, temporary files and cookies before you leave. The layout of these functions are the same in English as in Spanish. It may take a while to execute the history file delete step as it rarely done in locutorios.

Some people establish a temporary email address at Yahoo or other free provider and have their regular email forwarded to that address while away. They check that address when on vacation. Then when they get home they cancel the forwarding of email from their regular adress and abandon the temporary address. Some change their passwords when they get home just to be sure.

This warning is probably overkill but key stroke and other information capture software does exist. It can be installed on a PC in a flash and a thief can return hours later and download the contents of the captured information to a thumb drive and delete the capture program in a heartbeat.

If any of you have used computers on a college campus you know that people tend to be pretty careful about what they use the public computers in the library and comp lab for. I would apply the same degree of discretion when using a public cybercafe.

I live and die by the web so I will use cybercafes and locutorios extensively on my trip to stay in touch. Hopefully I will have the sense to follow my own advice.