We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility in B.A

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
5 posts
Save Topic
Accessibility in B.A

My husband and I are planning to take our 2 year old to B.A from Jan - March of next year. My husband uses a wheelchair. Is there a particular neighborhood that would be more accessible for us to live in? We were looking at Palermo Viejo and Recoleta. He is also a Wheelchair Racer. Does anyone know if there is a track for him to train on in the city?

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessibility in B.A

Ash:

I suggest Recoleta, some Palermo Viejo areas are lovely, but you will need to take a cab to dowtown, Recoleta and other neighb.

No special trail for wheelchairs in town , but again Recoleta area seem to me more friendly for this case..

The area he will find nice to train is the Bosques de Palermo area , that are not close to the nicest areas of Palermo Viejo.

You may want to consider the area DD dr-dwaggy from the forum stayed close to AV.Libertador.

Belive might be the best one for him.

A few weeks ago while the BA marathon I saw a few guys running on w. chairs being 1 of them among the first groups to arrive.

Also toured in my boat a marathonist from abroad that was exercising during the trip ... crazy marathonists !

Atlanta
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessibility in B.A

Thank you. If being able to train/bike/workout is our biggest concern would Palermo Viejo be the better neighborhood since it is closest to the Bosques Woods? My understanding is that the roads are not safe to bike on and riding from Recoleta to the Bosques Woods would be a problem.

What is the area/neighborhood along the Av. del Libertador just south of the park in Palermo called? Would it make sense to find an apartment there?

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessibility in B.A

Ash :

No , Palermo Viejo is not near Bosques de Palermo regarding walking distance , by cab its 5 / 10 minutes.

The area close to Bosques de Palermo is also called Palermo.

Its a huge neighbourhood!

I wouldn´t choose Palermo Viejo , but Recoleta or better some apt. over Av. del Libertador ( expensive) or close streets,before crossing Av Las Heras to the W.

If in Recoleta , Schiaffino , Posadas , R.Peña , Montevideo . or Av Quintana / AV Alvear are very nice streets, the closer to Libertador the better or to Recoleta church ( AV Quintana).

Expensive area.

The area in Palermo called "La Isla" close to the UK Embassy is great , but will be very exensive ( Luis Agote for example), and not sure there are apt for rent.

Atlanta
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessibility in B.A

Santiagov,

Again, thank you. I was able to purchase a map of B.A and now have a better understanding of your recommendations. There is a road called Av. Figueroa Alcorta which appears to run from Recoleta through Palermo. Is this a busy road? It looks as if it passes through a lot of park land. Could you bike on this road?

I will look into accomodations along Av. del Libertador in Recoleta.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessibility in B.A

Ash ;

Great you have a map ! there are web maps too , but belive its much easier with a paper one.

Figueroa Alcorta is a Huge Avenue same as Av Libertador ( Not as the hugest in town 9 de julio , try finding the Obelisco) both with lots of traffic , you will surely need at some point to cross them , to enter the area called Bosques de Palermo. The green area you see in the map

Its a beautifull area where you will fing joggers, bikers, people with their dogs ( watch out for dog s..t:)!! ) , Tai chi fans and many outdoors fans. If you continue north through Av. Libertador there´s a lake , then the Soccer Team stadium( River Plate ) and the Tiro federal at the end ( Shooting area) .

To make it simple the closest you are to the greener areas the better, as you will have less streets or Av. to cross.

DD from the forum rented a apt. last year that was located in a block I belive will be great for you , try finding through whom he rented that apt.

If deciding for the Recoleta area , the best streets are the ones posted ..

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accessibility in B.A

oops ..

I wouldn´t bike on Av Libertador nor F. Alcorta, but some fans do bike and some Bikers groups too ... belive its dangerous in a city where the bigger rules....Trucks buses, 4 x 4 ..

But in the parks paralell to this avenues there are bike roads that are OK .

Good luck !! Have fun