We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket

S��o Paulo Brasil
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Supermarket

Which is the supermarket chaim should I look for?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket

Jumbo, Carrefour, Norte, Coto, Disco? It depends a little on what you are looking for, location, etc.?

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket

I like Coto. They have a great in-house bakery and prepared food section. A good wine and beer selection. Excellent meats. Their deli has sandwiches and good cold cuts. Good produce. Good checksout. Quck and efficient. I know they deliver to homes.

S��o Paulo Brasil
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket

I will stay in Recoleta (Plaza Francia), with my 2 daughters and theirs nanny. I need a supermarket where i could find diapers,milk (soja),snacks, etc....

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,583 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket

I can't think of a large grocery store near your location, but there is a moderate size Norte not too far away. I think it is on Quintana just the other side of Callao from where you will be staying. There are small walk-up markets (kioskos) everywhere for snacks, but you may need a larger market for things like diapers.

You might want to visit one of the larger stores and load up, taking things back to your room. From the Plaza Francia, you could grab a cab and go to the Jumbo in Palermo fairly quickly. Just ask the driver to take you to Ezy ( a home depot like store that is in the same shopping center as Jumbo) or to Jumbo in Palermo. Everyone knows where it is...

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,583 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket

Now that I think about it, I believe the store I mentioned earlier is not Norte but Disco, another grocery store chain in the area. Sorry about the confusion. It should be large enough to take care of the needs you mentioned.

S��o Paulo Brasil
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket

Thank you DD.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket

Many of the stores that were mentioned have websites and as I indicated many will deliver to your apartment or hotel. I would think it would be possible to look at the websites to get a sense of what they call stuff, make a list of what you need, call the store and have it delivered to where you are staying. Assuming your Spanish is decent. Not sure if you order only by phone or on the internet. When I stop at the Coto I like I always see them loading a lot of plastic containers into panel trucks for delivery all over the city or at least the immediate neighborhood. So it is a very popular way of shopping apparently. Hope this is helpful. (DD...is it obvious I am fishing for a thank you from the pretty lady?)

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket

My personal rank for Supermarkets

1) JUMBO . Quality / some few nice imported goodies / Excellent regarding fruits / vegetables / home made breads/ Friendly cashiers, many ones and quick, best paid ones !!.

Very effective Chilean managment .

A litlle more expensive than the rest. I generally hate Supermarkets .... Jumbo is an exception.

2) COTO . I many ways close to JUMBO , but smaller and with less alternatives, cheaper than Jumbo, unconfortable to move inside. Sometimes crowded.

3) Disco . SO SO , not bad

4) Carrefour and Norte being the last owned by Carrefour.

No comments :)))

Bottom line , its like Kindergardens .. the closest one to your home is the "best" ... wife will kill me if she hears that ..:))

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket

As said in other posts, there is a Disco on Quintana, close to where you will be staying.

I would take a cab to the Jumbo in Palermo or the Carrefour on Salguero near the MALBA, for larger weekly shopping.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket

I would surely skip Carrefour Salguero, the Shooping is OK but not among the best ones in BA.

Best shoopings

Galeria Pacifico

Patio Bullrich

(where 40 years, I personally presented ponys in their famous Patio Bullrich "remates" / auctions before being a shooping.