We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mixed messages about visiting in Jan

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Topic
mixed messages about visiting in Jan

Dear Local Experts and "often funny" Others - A few of the recent threads have discussed visiting in Jan vis a vis weather, shop & attraction openings, etc. Santiagov seems to come squarely down on the side of Jan as a good time to visit, but a couple of others don't seem so sure.

Could I get a wrap up of some of the pluses and minuses of a month long stay for Jan?

We have the option of easily changing our trip dates to later in the year, but if there is not much difference, we would like to keep our original schedule. Our original schedule is 9 Dec to 20 Jan. Our new schedule would be 23 Jan to 28 Feb. (Price is the same for us no matter which.)

What is the vote?

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: mixed messages about visiting in Jan

There is a custom in Argentina....perhaps only in Buenos Aires province I am not sure about that....but on Christmas Eve all argentine women, old and young, skinny and fat must wear a new pair of pink underwear. When my wife first told me about that I thought she was joking. Then we walked down Florida Street and you will see store windows with every imaginable size and style of pink underwear displayed. Little kids underwear, to pink thongs, to gigantic granny drawers. Dozens of styles and sizes on display. All bright pink. I have seen that same sight in many other Argentine cities and towns big and small in Buenos Aires province. How it started or what it means ...I have no clue. But if you go to BA before Christmas you will see for yourself. My wife says it is best if the panties are given to you as a gift but it is ok to buy your own if your desperate.

Now... I have a reputation about being a crazy American (I don't know why) but on my first Christmas eve in Argentina when a bunch of my wife's female friends showed up to visit....I had to ask...are you wearing your pink panties....sure enough they alld modestly manage to show me a flash of pink. God I love that country.