We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike riding in BA?

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Topic
bike riding in BA?

What are the local experts' impressions' of biking in the city? We have biked extensively in Paris and Amsterdam, and travel with our folding bikes frequently. Is it safe? (I know this is a relative term for an activity like biking in a large urban metropolis.)

Are there any paved trails in or near outside the city?

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: bike riding in BA?

LOL .. .. you are and old crazy that drives in his bike ... like Don Quijote agains´t windmills.

If you do that Kamikazee bike riding in quiet streets of Martinez or La Lucila is a different thing .

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: bike riding in BA?

About: "you are and old crazy that drives in his bike".

Well, today santiagov got kicked out of bed by his wife even earlier than usual, so that must be why his English is even worse than usual.

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: bike riding in BA?

I found this today:

http://www.biketours.com.ar/

They look pretty fun!

Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: bike riding in BA?

Now I know someone else I can blame for the ZILLION TIMEs I have fallen off my bike because of crazy unconscious bikers who go against traffic/cars...so you get to a corner and there's this biker who turns and comes against traffic and against you of course and you manouver quickly trying not to crush into him but trying also to avoind crushing into the cars behind and beside you...violent scene that unfortunately takes place every other week end in BA...

Please please please do not do this, or if you do don't ride through the places I mentioned on previous posts you'll run into me...I don't need any more bike injures...

Driving against cars may LOOK safer but it is actually MUCH MORE dangerous...Cars hate bikers as it is and won't be friendly even if you ar behaving but if you give them a tiny reason they'll just try to eun over you...

Not to mention it is against the law, you'll find yourself "coimeando" (bribing) one of the "guardia urbana" policemen soon enough...

Rooster: now for real, if your ever try that going against the traffic business, you are crazy and take care because it IS truly dangerous to do it...

By the way, in ARG amateur bikers take rides to rodizio, noble repulgue and perssico regularly and once a month to a "tenedor libre" untill dumped out of it, and get plumpy while serious sportspeople starve with their lechuce and do have skiny legs...

Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: bike riding in BA?

there are bicicle city tours that have guides that take through safe/bike friendly areas...

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: bike riding in BA?

I strongly advised the gotogal AGAINST riding a bike on our streets and on October 10 I said: "In case this is not clear, my advice is: DO NOT RIDE ON THE STREETS."

On October 11, I said: "if you MUST ride on the streets (I advised you NOT to do so), you could ride AGAINST the traffic, so you see whatever is coming at you."

I stand by that advice.

I also said: "People will say I'm crazy, but I'm used to it."

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: bike riding in BA?

We promise, we will NOT ride against traffic on the streets. This is NUTS anywhere in the world, I think.

We will however, have our own bicycles and start by taking a tour with biketours.com.ar, and then see what we want to do from there.

We have these special kind of bikes that fold up, so if needed, they can go in a bag on onto our shoulders! Seriously! See for yourself!

www.bikefriday.com

What I like about riding a bike is that your range can be extended greatly without having to rely on public transport. Also, in case traffic is too much (on street or sidewalk) a cyclist can become a pedestrian very quickly. We do not ride fast or crazy, but we do like to ride whenever and wherever we can.

Portland
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: bike riding in BA?

They do have some bike trails and huge green spaces with paths in Buenos Aires, and if you are careful, you should be fine... but if you go on the street (which you may have to do at times) be careful, cause people in Argentina drive crazy!! be safe.