We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is negotiation a common practice?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellevue
5 posts
Save Topic
Is negotiation a common practice?

Is it rude to negotiate when shopping at the flea market or any store? What about hotels also? Is there such thing as non-smoking room in smaller three or two star hotels?

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

At flea markets...sure bargain away. Most anywhere else I would hesitate to bargain except at a shop selling leather goods or art or something like that...items with a non-standard price where there is room for negotiation ...but typically that is for high end stuff. Don't try and offer the girl at the Coto supermarket 2 pesos for a 3 peso bottle of Quilmes...she will hit you with it.

Hotels I would first search the web and see if you are getting the best price. I found a price for the Viamonte Suites Hotel last year on the web (35 per night) while the hotel itself wanted (70) a night. So shop around. You can ask if they will give a discount for cash (effectivo) as opposed to paying them by credit card (tarjeta). I dont ever recall being asked if my room was to be smoking or nonsmoking at any small hotel. But I dont recall the room smelling bad either. I smoke cigars but never in a hotel room regardless if it is smoking or not. The American run hotels I am sure have nonsmoking rooms specifically but their prices are high. Unless you have a bad allergy to smoke residue I would go for it. Get there early...if the room stinks..literally...ask to be changed. Or when you email or phone to confirm your reservation you can ask them then if you could have a nonsmoking room...see what happens. I just checked some sites I use..none of them speicify nonsmoking rooms...I think it is an alien concept to them.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

It is also common to negotiate with traffic cops who just caught you speeding or jaywalking or running a red light (I think there are laws against such things in Buenos Airs, but they are so rarely enforced I am not certain of it).....

I always negotiate with hotels. There are huge differences in price, depending on the source of booking. As Veritas notes, sometimes the best rates are not on line or even by contacting the hotel direct...unless, as Uncle Boko tells us, you speak like an Argentino....

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

My two cents now :

Always try to negociate in Argentina. Its a Fenician country.

Specially at Flea markets.

While working for a well known Hotel in front of Retiro ( many moons ago) remember the very few passengers that negotiated for a better rate usually succeded. Sometimes of course depending on occupancy. But there´s almost always a better rate or upgrading . Actually occupance isn´t on your favour.

Brazilians are the toughest ones on negotiation while shooping.

They are sometimes kind of hated by the salesrep on comissions.

In many cases by paying cash you obtain easily ( without any effort) a 10 % discount.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
738 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

I tell you - I have it on good authority that where money is concerned, your average Argentine is corrupt. Anglo - Argentines are gentlemen though!

UncleBoko

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

Uncle Boko

Whats a average Argentine ? Many Anglo Argentines may fall in same category .........

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

UncleBoko: I have it on good authority that the British are people who use the Gurkhas to do their dirty fighting for them. Is that right, jolly old boy?

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

Well, AV, you have certainly become a fiesty old rooster in recent posts. You have added some zest to the forum.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

Hi, Sage!!!!!! BTW, you and the other local expert, my nephew santiagov, behaved much like elected politicians, not really taking sides on that "six" for pay thread and trying to keep everybody happy. Don't think I didn't notice!!!!!

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

With "position" comes responsibility :).

I will try to behave less diplomatically in the future:)

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is negotiation a common practice?

AV , I don´t think your possition aneeded support or comments, specially after TA rubbed away the thread.