We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Shoe Shopping

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Shoe Shopping

I would like to find the best locations for shoe shopping: Where can I find the most selection in one area, where are the best Argentine/local shoe designers located, and where is a good place for inexpensive shoes, like $20.00 on sale. I am very politically correct in appreciation of all shoes no matter how thrifty or indulgent; I do not discriminate. Ideally, I'd like to bring an empty suitcase to fill with shoes, boots, handbags & maybe a leather jacket as well but Hubby thinks I'm joking! LOL Chau Gracias! --Sandy

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,443 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

I have seen shoes for $30 pesos in shop windows but somehow I think they might not be the best quality :)

There are a few shops that are found in malls and different neighborhoods that have nice shoes and there is one on the corner of Callao and Quintana that has wonderful boots and shoes but he is pretty pricey .. sad news is , prices in this sort of thing are not as low as they used to be. They still end up costing as much as shoes in the US.

Sylvia Vane , Prune, Mishka are some names that pop in my mind but there are shoe stores on every corner here.. most are always made of soft leather .. same with handbags..

I love the summer shoes here.. it is easy to have too many ( as if there was such a thing!)

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

Thanks for all that info; NO! there is no such thing as too many shoes, that's why there is 365 days on the calender. Cheers! --Sandy

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

You can also find some beautiful shoes..some made to order on Anchorena in the 500-600 area, across from the Abasto mall. They are probably a lot more than $20...I think those days are over.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

How about stylish boots? I would LOVE a pair of Cappy boots! The selection 18 mos ago was very limited in Cappy to a few unfashionable, "dated" styles and I assumed that was because in was maximum Summer at the time, mid-January. So, I have put Cappy boots on the top of the shopping list. Any suggestions? Muchas Gracias! --Sandy P.S.-- I finally talked myself into an outrageous, silly (for me) pair of blue leather, quilted & very pointy boots decorated with a large self-tie bow (!) on the back of the heel from a discount shop on Florida St. on my last visit. SO not practical; I usually only wear them when visiting London, New York or Amsterdam, I would never wear them to the grocery store here in Alpha Centauri, but they are so much fun and the BEST souvenier ever, next to Jewelry. I even found a matching handbag a few days later. Silly, silly, I know... Is there a 12 step program somewhere for shoe "collecting"?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,443 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

If there is a 12 step program for shoe enthusiasts, I am not aware of it...

I saw a pair of little short boots with a bow on the heel ... soooo cute. just the other day in a tiny shop on Vivente Lopez right before the corner of Rodriquez Peña .. no name brands ( that I am familiar with ) and great prices.. boots and shoes.

I have gotten a few ... well, several...well .. a lot of shoes and boots there :D

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

On the high-indulgence side, you might want to check out Comme Il Faut. Though their shoes are designed for tango, many women wear them as elegant street shoes (probably not Buenos Aires streets -- you'd kill yourself on the 3- or 4-inch stilettos). You can read about them here:

http://tiny.cc/5WxBb

Just going to their store is a shoe experience: nothing on display... you tell a salesperson your size and taste, then wait for her to bring you a few pairs, while other women eye your selection. (It's a lot friendlier than it sounds.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

What woman doesn't love shoes? Isn't it part of our DNA? Years ago, we visited friends in Caracas and I came back with 5 pairs of shoes ......

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

I think we have a WINNER here! WOW 5 pairs! My hat's off to you! LOL

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

When it comes to boots be warned: if you happen to have a real calf (I don't mean fat -- just a curvy nice calf) you may have a difficult time getting boots above your ankle to fit -- the Argentine calf is notoriously thin.. extremely thin and straight. Couple that with the very flat foot that most shoes/boots are made to house -- and you've got a fit problem that could make you a bit crazy.

If you happen to like arch support, fit will be very difficult. So leave room for an insert of your own -- or shop at one of the better tango shoe purveyors -- where proper foot support isn't an alien concept. Tango shoes aren't just for dancing -- the myriad of beautiful styles will have you drooling for a myriad of beautiful places to which to wear them!

That being said, some of the higher end shoes/boots, are more familiar with the export market and you'll find better fitting items. Thank goodness I did my comme il faut splurge a few years ago when the price was about 200 pesos a pair (a true bargain).

Quality isn't always good. I bought a pair of boots from a mid-range store (one near Alto Palermo mall) and within a week the sole had split in half! I've never before had anything like that happen. I took them back (getting them to exchange defective items is no mean feat in Argentina -- so make sure you're happy when you walk out), got a new pair, and the sole cracked in half on the flight home (a shame too -- as they were actually very comfortable).

Learn the term "cuero ecologico" -- it means: synthetic. Cuero = leather. That way you won't be surprised by finding out that your good deal was vinyl.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Shoe Shopping

Thank You SO SO much! Great tips & info. I think I can really challenge my personal best, if not an attempt at a record on this trip! I wonder what The Guinness Book has to say! I did have an inexpensive pair of sandals loose their footbed/lining after 2 hours at San Telmo flea market, I've been re-gluing them ever since but is is annoying because I do like them and they are comfortable. Thanks Again, --Sandy