We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
6 posts
Save Topic
What to bring

What can a guy bring to wear for everyday wear and bar/club wear? Are jeans ok or do portenos normally wear dress pants? I'm going solo and don't want to stick out as a gringo tourist...

Going in November by the way..

Thanks for the help..

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring

I belive the generall rule is elegant sport , not dressy.

Jeans are OK, a blue jacket , slacks , preferable shoes .

Porteños tend to be rather classic. No Texan boots or hats .

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring

Argentines tend to dress in dark colors...lots of black. Nothing flashy...think stylish....Americans stick out like a sore thumb not matter how you look....the way we move...or the style of our clothes. Clean jeans and a jacket would be fine depending on your destination. Dark dress pants and black leather shoes for another night. No tshirts....always shirts with collars...and buttons...no golf shirts....no shorts....no sneakers....I rarely see them. Of course I assume you are thin.....obesity is virtually non existent...at least what I have seen in BA....the hair tends to run a bit longish....and many men have that I need a shave look. This is in BA of course....in the province...you can wear anything you please pretty much.

Of course your age will dictate what you wear and how you will look and be perceived...if you are a college kid..then just dress like a person your age....and you will fit in. Older people....same thing...no one is looking at you anyway. In between...say...21-40....then you need to take a bit of care. You may even consider buying a few outfits in BA on your first day. Hop down to Florida Street...and pick up some pants and a couple of shirts....everything is so inexpensive it will not cost you much. Good luck....

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring

I agree with most of what veritas says, and in his reply is the clue: it depends on your age. For instance, he dismisses t-shirts, but if you're in your twenties, that wouldn't be a good advice... so, let us know whether you're in your twenties, thirties, fourties, etc...