We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
"Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

And now for the english speaking audience... ;-). Would anyone recommend good restaurants frequent by locals? (argentine, italian and mediterranean cooking)

What about nightime places frequent by professional thirtysomething's with nice athmosphere and good wine.

This time we have reservations at Sofitel Hotel (Arroyo Street). Is this hotel in good location? Is it at walking distance to important touristic places? Somebody told me it is located over a hill, or something like that, is it true?

buenos aires
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Hi. well, a really good restaurant to eat Italian is La parolaccia, in puerto Madero, and they have

buenos aires
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

sorry, I{ll continue here. Wel I was telling you about this Restaurant in Puerto madero, at noon it{s really cheap, they have this menu, that includes appetizer, main, and dessert or coffe, really good, and to have dinner, you have Palermo Hollywood, and there you have a lot of cool restaurants to go, with fine Argentinian wines (Luigi Bosca, Felipe RUTINI).

For Argentinian food, in Lavalle and carlos pellegrini, you have la estancia, really good asado.

Wel hope you have a good time.

Cheers!!!

buenos AIRES
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

If you want Italian food ansd a place not crowded with tourists(and that is the case of Puerto Madero) try Campo dei Fiori in Monserrat 8very close to the downtown area . It is in SAn Jose and Venezuela

buenos AIRES
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Try Campo dei Fiori (italian food ) Venezuela and San José Monserrat

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Hi Liss :

I belong to the spanglish audience :)

Sofitel is very well located over Arroyo st.;( creme de la creme) away from Esmeralda St. 50 Mts ( half a block) , not over a hill but over the border the river plate had 300 years ago aprox. !! So its a 35 / 40 grades block, but not a hill !

DD from this forum has been at their restaurant and might provide his gourmandise opinion.

For night time Las Cañitas and Palermo Viejo neighbourhoods are top for thirty something and non very touristy. Remember tourism in Argentine is strongly growing ,and what todays is non touristy tomorrow is.

For serious food gathering ( restaurants) try

elgourmet.com

General info from Argentina on Argentinian web guides ( not fully complet of course)

welcomeargentina.com

interpatagonia.com

buenos aires.com.ar

Finally , follow Trip Advisor´s threads for more info. regarding your interests . Surely will add to your knowledge for a sharper decision.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

If wanting a good n very cheap neighbourhood restaurant (good food) and something really Off the beaten track , try asking your taxi driver for them . And ask what´s the place specialty.

This tip goes for BA Cafes too, having a coffe in some Taxi drivers coffe stops in BA neighbourhoods might be fun for the adventurous traveler.

Some Taxi drivers have pearls of info. Try asking for them !

They usually would love showing up their "wisdom".

Of course its taking risks, but might be worthwhile and fun.

I only suggest this to travelers with some spanish knowledge.

Regarding restaurants on highways through Argentina , when you see trucks at a restaurant parking , surely you will have a great meal !

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Hip, Hip, Hurray!!!!!!!!

Santiagov made it too!!!!!!!!

I'll buy them some Malbec (I don't drink) when the "sage from Athens" comes to Buenos Aires in December!!!!!!!

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Thanks Uncle avrooster , we can have that Malbec ( with a BBQ I´ll prepare on board ) sometime when DD arrives back to BA and of course , in the Delta Islands !

Diet Coke for you :))

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

LOCAL EXPERT santiagov: I hate diet Coke. Be sure to have enough "Villavicencio con gas bien fría" when you take us to the Delta in your boat!!! I'll check your supply BEFORE I get on board!!!!

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Not Touristy" Restaurants in Buenos Aires (english)

Last but not least

This is a restaurant in the Delta Islands : BEIXA FLOR , ( 50 minutes from BA) that had good comments by Elisabeth Cheka , a BA gourmandise writter.

Its really a Porteño non touristy spot worthwhile to visit for lunch in a relaxed atmosphere close to Tigre , in the islands.

It can be reached in Cecilia´s "Chata" , a tipical transporting boat from the Delta. Cecilia is a Expert on the Delta Islands regarding nature , history and navigation.

http://www.naturalezaydelta.com.ar/