We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires and Salta

Level Contributor
579 posts
9 reviews
Buenos Aires and Salta

I am still in the beginning stages of planning a trip with my husband for March or April. I have many questions I am hopeing TA's can help me with.

1. Which month will have better weather?

2. How many days are needed to explore the Salta area counting in the flights to and from BA?

3.How much should I expect to pay for the flights?

4.Will I need a rental car? What will the driving be like i.e. road conditions, distances, speed ofother drivers on road etc? The driving issue is a big one for us... I am always a bit concerned driving in other countries.

I will appreciate any other advice and info anyone can offer as well. Thanks so much.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

1. March

2. Some have done it in 3-4 full days, others have taken a week or more. Lots depends on whether you want to go both north and south from the city of Salta. You'll need to do some research.

3. a lot . . . .

4. Either a rental car or a guide who drives you. Some roads are excellent (well paved, well marked); others are dirt, twisting through mountains and thought to be treacherous by some. Distances are greater than they appear on the maps, as there are lots of mountains, you'll pause to gape at scenery, etc. In the Salta area the other drivers are pretty good, don't drive too fast, etc. (In other parts of the country they are dangerous.)

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

I would say... book the latest days for SAlta, April is perfect. In March there are still some rains, NOt too bad but April is perfect, the hills are still green and the temperature si perfect. That is a promise. At least five days. One day for Salta and at least two for Purmamarca and the / colour mountians and two days for Cafayate, teh wine area. If you want to include Cachi, I suggest you take one more day. The road between Cachi and Cafayate is not paved and it is winding. So you need time. It is a looooong driving.

A suggestion do not bool all your nights in the town, Purmamarca in the northern circuit and Cafayate are great places to spend a night. You will love the area.

Avoid coming in Eastern time... there are plenty of cars touring and booking is a problem. Many drivers from other regions come to this area and they are... (among ourselves...) crazy!

A driver would e advisable if you are not used to drive. You can tehn enjoy the scenery whiwhc is really amazing!

If you need more info I will be pleased to provide you of all the tips for a safe driving.

Giena

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

Go with Giena's advice. She lives in the NW. I was thinking more of BA in suggesting March. If April is so much better in Salta, go with it; that month wouldn't be bad in BA at all.

BA
Level Contributor
709 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

I rented a 4x4 (not cheap) when I went. As I wanted to go through dirt roads and not the main rutas. Well worth it. The trip from Salta up to Quebrada de Humahuaca (Jujuy, north of salta) through san antonio de los cobres is amazing. you go through so many different landscapes you want to stop everywhere for pictures. Puna, salt lakes, canions, just breathtaking! You just miss a lot if you keep to the main route (9 I think, correct me if I am wrong). I will suggest you do both north to Jujuy and south to Cafayate. You will need a few days for that.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

If you are able to spend at least a week in the area, you would find plenty to do and see.

Flight prices change all the time but it seems we payed about $250 or so round trip BA/Salta last year.

We rented a can and found the driving to be much easier than expected, however, we always drive in foreign countries so our comfort level might be different from yours.

If you don't like driving, you could hire a guide and driver for about $150 or so per day or if you are on a tighter budget, take a buses and then do day trips from the town you stay in. Most of the hotel operators can set up something that would be fairly inexpensive.

Definitely spend some time in Cafayate, Purmamarca and Tilcara. A trip to the Salinas Grandes is fantastic!

Enjoy your trip!

New York City
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

Saludos from NYC.

One question: how far a drive is it from Salta to Purmamarca? From Salta to Cafayate? We are wondering if these locations can be done in a day trip from Salta.

Also, we would visit in April too. Is it warm enough to swim in Salta at that time of year? Gracias.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

If I remember correctly, it is about two hours in each direction. The driving is just as easy as any highways in the USA. We drove straight through from Cafayate to Tilcara, north of Purmamarca. It was an easy drive and we really enjoyed it!

BA
Level Contributor
709 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

from salta to Purmamarca on the main road is 2 hours. However, as I mentioned before if you take the road that follows the path of the Tren de las nubes (the one I describe above) it takes a lot longer, but it is worth it as you see a lot of scenery and can stop at very scenic litle towns and it is more adventurous than the main road.

Also, aroud Purmamarca there is quite a lot to see.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

Well, I love safe driving...

Salta - Purmamarca is about 200 kms. and that means three hours at least with one stop which ususally is JUJUY. You do not need a 4x4 I bet you will not used both tractions, but people can speed with it and in that case I prefer people buy a video and stay home instead.

Driving is a pleasure if you can see the scenery and enjoy it. Salta - Cafayate is not less than 3 hours, NOT LESS, watch the formations, take pictures, pull over and walk, take an hour walking in the canyon if you want but do nto speed. Who cares what time you arrive in Cafayate if you can breath the clear air in the Gorge? Take your time, these are your vacations, and we all want you have much more vacations...

So, the driving time should be just a reference for you to figure aout your itinerary.

Personally, I do not recommend to go thorugh San Antonio de los Cobres, I think it is a waste of time, the roadas are bad and the scenery nothing interesting compared with the rest of the area.

the Calcahquies Valleys and the Humahuaca Gorge plus the Salt Flats, on route 52 is perfect for a week in the NW.

You need time for Purmamarca and Cafayate. Places where I suggest to send at least one night. Visit the goat cheese factory CABRAS DE CAFAYATE in Cafayate and some wineries. Nanni, Domingo Hermanos, Vasija Secreta, Finca las Nubes and San Pedro de YAcochuya are the most popular.

Remember if you drink do nt drive, and the other way round!

Warm regards,

Giena

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: Buenos Aires and Salta

I just reread my post and laughed out loud! :-)

We rented a "car" not a "can" but it was kind of a pile-o-tin! Lol!

As for the speed of other drivers, we found it to be about the same as here in the USA. It was fairly normal driving conditions.