We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in July

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
weather in July

I was hoping to travel to Argentina with my parents and 2 teen children and now realize that it is winter there. Does anyone know what to expect and if it is worthwhile to go at this time of year?

This would be for July 2008.

Thanks so much

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: weather in July

Weather Underground is a great site for checking on the weather , anywhere in the world:

wunderground.com/global/stations/87582.html

You can see what the weather was last year in July and get an idea ..

I seem to remember it snowed, but that was the first snow here in 94 years.

Not the sort of snow you get in New Hampshire but it was cold.. then it was gone.

I love winter here, it is never too cold to do things, but I don't know if you want to bring the kids and your parents here in the middle of winter.. what were your thoughts on what you all would do?

Spring/Fall might be better times.

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: weather in July

We are all quite active so love to roam around, go to museaums, check out architecture, dine, shop, enjoy the local culture. I'm thinking it might be fun to go when a bit quieter. I looked at the forcast and it looks like it is between 50-60 degrees fareinhite. If that is the case we most likely would just wear warm jackets and maybe a scarf. But if it is colder than that I might reconsider. So, I guess my questions are:

Am I correct with the weather and what we would wear?

Is there a lot of culture and things to check out at this time of year. My parents have travelled the world and have never been to Buenos Aires and that is why we were leaning towards that trip but that is the only time of year we can all go together.

They are very active and fun older folks and I will also have my 15 and 19 year old.

Thank you so much for your interest.

-Dana

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: weather in July

As you probably know if you have been reading up on BA, that there are about 100 museums here..wonderful museums in wonderful buildings..and of course the architecture. There are huge coffee table books that are just photographs of the Art Nouveau buildings here ..

I like the winter here very much..I was pleasantly surprised that the summer was not as brutal as I expected but the winter is beautiful. The skies are this amazing blue almost every day..and as you say, the crowds are not so bad.

I myself would like to go to the zoo :)

We have friends whose apartment faces / look out over the zoo and we have seen it from above, now I want to walk through it .. I think you all would enjoy that too.

Yes, warm jackets, comfortable walking boots/shoes and a scarf..it does get windy here and I was very glad I had some scarves with me last winter..

Yes, you are correct, that is pretty much the temps here, although nights can get into the 30s and as you know, it snowed but that probably won't happen again for many years.

I believe BA is much like London or NY, the fall/winter season is when Opera and Ballet and plays start again.

Even though the Colon Opera House is not going to open for some time, there are other venues..

I know there is something here for each of you, as long as you are good with the weather, I think it is a great idea..

Good luck with all your planning :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: weather in July

Our first visit to Buenos Aires was during July. We found the weather to be perfect for strolling around the city. It ranged anywhere from 50 to 70 degrees during the day (closer to freezing at night) and it was very pleasant for walking.

I wouldn't be discouraged that it is their winter. As you'll see by the 'averages', they actually receive less rainfall during their winter than their summer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: weather in July

I wouldn't be discouraged by the weather. It will be cold, and humid, so you might feel the cold a little more than in a drier climate. It snowed last year on July 9th, but that was unusual. Definitely check yearly averages online, but I don't think it will be as cold as NH in the winter!

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: weather in July

Thanks to all about the weather! I feel fine about going and excited...I only wish airfair wasn't

$ 1000 per person!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
7. Re: weather in July

Dolly, come! you will love baires and july is really not so cold. You will see... it is nothing compared to cities like NYC or Boston or London, Spain. You can walk everywhere with a nice warm jacket, go to our cafés and have a hot chocolate and an "alfajor" or something sweet, go shopping, to a restaurant and have a warm pasta or steak, to the museums like the Malba, go watch a tango show, maybe on a sunny day you go to an estancia (like a farm), take pictures, and enjoy the life! your teen children will love it too. it's always nice here, except for maybe the middle of january when it is really hot and humid. If not, then it's great!

Have fun!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: weather in July

Thank you Ilana and the others who are so helpful!

Even though I complained about the air fair for $ 1000 pp (over my budget) I am rationalizing that the hotels and such are lower priced...so I will go with my 2 teenage kids and my parents who love to travel and have been world travelers but NEVER to Buenos Aires so they are particularly excited.

So now I will try to book a very reasonably price hotel...I'm thinking a bed and breakfast...

If anyone has suggestions for very reasonably priced but safe and good location in the city please let me know.

I think we will go for 10 days which seemed long to me but my parents suggested it...

9. Re: weather in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 24, 2009