We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires first time

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Buenos Aires first time

I am planning a trip to South America starting in BA end of October...starting from scratch...need ideas about small hotels..I am NOT as young as mot of you (over 60) but still going pretty strong. I have travelled all over the world (over 100 countries) but this is my first time in S.America... any and all suggestions are welcome. A spa sounds pretty wonderful right now. Anyone know of one?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires first time

small hotels? there are many recommended on this forum, but here are some:

Bo Bo

Malabia

Home

Krista

Art Hotel

Ayres de Recoleta

Bel Air

Five

Posada Palermo

The Cocker

1890 B & B

etc.

I think Evian and Spa de Piel are both very good. If you want like a more complete and really good spa - the ones at Park Hyatt and Four seasons are excellent. I have tried both!! lucky me!!!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires first time

Thank you so much for such a quick answer. I am planning on buying my ticket tomorrow. You have reassured me I will find something..I will check those out. Yes, lucky you!! I lived in Thailand almost two years and I say the same thing often "lucky me" When a friend came for one week to CHiang Mai and N Thailand, I made sure she had six massages in seven days. My Thai friends say that the Thai massage cures jetlag. In her case no jet lag at all and a 15 hour time difference...sooo I will try to book a spa in BA as well!!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires first time

You'r welcome!! there is nothing better than a good massage after a long flight!! or a long day of work! or a day when you only wish to relax...

You will love BA...

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires first time

Like any large city, there is so much to see and do and so many places to stay for a first visit - I'd recommend looking into staying in Recoleta/Barrio Norte at either Art Hotel or Ayres Recoleta. You'd be close to the sophistication of Recoleta and just a short cab ride out to day-trip Palermo SoHo/Hollywood and Belgrano. Aqua Vita Medical Spa on Arenales (close to Callao) is a fantastic spa - 2 hours of rub and scrub is around $50 US - ridiculously affordable!

Do not miss lunch at Susina on Vincent Lopez (close to Callao) and cocktail hour at the lobby bar of the Alvear Palace Hotel!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires first time

Thanks for the suggestions. one more question should I bring my laptop or leave it in Paris for the three months of travel in South America.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires first time

Personally, I like traveling with my laptop, but then, I do alot of work on it while I travel. If you don't need it for that, I'd leave it - there are plenty of internet cafes around... more than plenty actually... where you can check e-mail or surf a bit. I'd also use caution if you do bring it if you take it outside your hotel (and even in the hotel, i'd probably carry a good laptop cable to chain it to a piece of furniture, just as an added precaution). I have friends who were recently here that were using theirs in a wi-fi cafe in Palermo, some kid wandered in, and as he walked by their table, simply grabbed the laptop and ran out the door. He had too much of a head start on them to catch, and they lost it. It's not the first time I've heard of this happening, nor of having someone try to take it from you if you're carrying it around. Here, I keep mine at home and never take it out for a walk...

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires first time

Thanks to everyone who suggested that I leave the laptop home. I will leave it in Paris for these three months. Internet cafes will be fine. I have not settled on a hotel or hostel in Buenos Aires and I leave the 25th October. I am still open to suggestions. I hope to take a week or two of Spanish if I can find a good school.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buenos Aires first time

ilana provided a pretty comprehensive list. How would you like for us to help you make up your mind? Price? Location? Ammenities? Tell us what is most important and we might be hable to help you narrow your search a bit.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buenos Aires first time

From what I have read either Recoleta or Palermo is calm. I was trying to find something not too expensive this is the beginning of three months in South America. I hope to do Chile, Uruaguay, and Argentina.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buenos Aires first time

If you are going to be staying in the city for at least a week then consider renting an apartment. They are far more cost effective than staying in a hotel. Here is a list of some of the agenices which we are familar with and are reputable in the city: www.argentinahomes.com,www.bytargentina.com,www.buenosaireshabitat.com,www.arpartmentsba.com. They all have a large selection of apartments in both Recoleta/Barrio Norte and Palermo.

Have a look at some of the properties then we could help you wth the neighborhoods.

Enjoy!!