We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing back wine

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
40 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing back wine

We are going to BA for a week. I was wondering how much wine we can bring back to the US. Also, what are good places to buy wine? I don't want to buy at the airport.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing back wine

Sorry to jump in on your question,but i would like to ask the same thing for the UK if anyone knows,thanks

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing back wine

I bring back a box (six bottles) each time I go to Argentina. I have heard this is over the legal limit, but I declare it...and have never been questioned.

Where to buy wine? Well, that depends on your taste in wine....and on where you are staying....

for inexpensive or moderately priced wines..try Jumbo supermarket in Palermo (next to the Ezy store).....

If you are in Recoleta/Barrio Norte...try El Fenix at the corner of Libertad and Santa Fe....

For a selection of better wines, try Frappe..several locations:

Recoleta....Pueyrredon 2501, Palermo Republica Arabe Siria 3152..

If you enjoy reds, try Achavel Ferrer....especially the Malbec (58 pesos) or the blend/corte Quimera 2001 (98 pesos, but one of the best wines in ARgentina)....

Luigi Bosca DOC is a very dependable 30 peso wine....excellent for the money for either the Cab or the Malbec....

Famiglia Bianchi is another excellent wine, Malbec or Cab for about 30 pesos per bottle.

For less expensive wines look for Carmelo Patti or Don David Cab (about 6 dollars a bottle! ).....or Santa Julia Robe (oak)....

I brought back a merlot on my last trip, that was excellent for the money....Humberto Canale...from Patagonia....A less expensive Merlot that I like very much is Trumpeter.....

Hope this helps/!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing back wine

i'm from canada and we were allowed 1.2 liters per person in canada. we had to pay duty on the rest, around $20. we brought 12 bottles back.

during your trip you will find bottles on restaurant menus that you will like better than others. i would record the ones you like and select from any store on the block. some tour books suggest specific wine stores.

wine is cheap. we just got home today and enjoyed one of our best $2 wines. we're looking forward to the $5 bottle.

good look and eat a lot of steak.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing back wine

Definitely try the Malbecs. You may not have heard of or tried one before but they are GREAT if you like a full bodied red. My favorite is called Piedra Negra. You will also see some Carminiere there. Just FYI, this is similar to a Merlot (was actually confused as a Merlot for many years before grape "DNA tests" were performed).

Definitely experiment different types you find at each of the restaurants and buy what you liked before leaving. The airport duty free shop does have an okay selection (but not huge) and the added bonus of good packing (although wine shops will pack for travel as well).

Their are a couple of specialty wine shops there but I haven't been to them. One of them has ads in the free city guide and free city map. Can't remember the name but it looks interesting. It offers a happy hour with wine and cheese tasting.

Also, you may want to check out the following site:

http://www.argentinewines.com/ing/

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
738 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing back wine

Don't bother lugging back wine to the UK, order from Pampas Wines.

UncleBoko

New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing back wine

Try the Salentin 2003 Malbec. Goes really well with red meat. Cost around 29 pesos.The Rutini Malbec is also exceptional. Slight more expensive but cheap for U.S. standards. I recently came back from Buenos Aires and brought back 5 bottles with my wife.

New York City
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing back wine

I bring different Maalbecs. In my humble opinion thr best of the best is the Yocayuya. It's rated very high in wine.com