We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

Heading to BsAs in July for the second time, my partner’s first. I can’t wait- the last time I went was in December, though. I think it might be a nice break from the NYC summer. Couple of questions for folks:

- is Uber reliable there? Or are taxis the better way to go? I was last there in 2013, so not sure if it’s a good option there.

- Anyone have good tour guide recommendations? For a general city tour, but also food and or wine tours? Ideally private, and less reliant on steak (will get enough on our own!)...

- Anyone done a show at Teatro Colon?

- Thinking also to head to Montevideo for two days. Is this a terrible idea in July?

5 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

Dear Steve, I run asado/neighborhood/street art tours, but I would be biased towards my own. Trip Advisor has a listing of the best food tours and I would recommend that you reach out to each one that catches your eye and see how they respond: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g312…

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

Oh, Uber is technically illegal here in Buenos Aires. For some people it works, for others, it doesn't. I have been able to use my Uber account in other countries, but I can't get it to work here, for example. Taxis are fairly inexpensive so you can go that route and there is an Uber type app that is legal here in Argentina and you can use that. You would need to download Cabify. I just used it for the first time and it worked just fine, but I didn't set up any credit cards on it so I just paid cash.

I always recommend to people that think about going to Montevideo to consider it only if you are on a long trip here. Buenos Aires is huge and there's lots to see and do and Montevideo is a little bit of more of the same. You might want to consider going to Iguazu instead to get something completely different. Don't get me wrong, I like Montevideo, but it would just depend on how much time you have here.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
227 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

Uber is as controversial as ever here. They have been back and forth, legal and illegal here. I agree with Frank in suggesting Cabify as your go to app as Uber may or may not work: https:/…

For wine, swing by Pain et Vin in Palmero. They have a more unique stock with a lot of lesser known vineyards plus they do tastings, often times private if you reserve in advance. The couple who owns it both have high levels of English.

Teatro Colon, your best off swinging by the box office in advance and buying in person. The site is notorious for being difficult to use. Definitely worth seeing a show there!

Montevideo in July? I'd give it a pass and consider other options within Argentina. Cold weather and a beach town make for an uneventful visit IMO.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
527 posts
172 reviews
257 helpful votes
4. Re: Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

We did the Recoleta tour with this company and really enjoyed it: https://www.bafoodtours.com/food-tours/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
619 posts
44 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours

There is a tour of Teatro Colon as an alternative or supplement to attending a concert. Some are in English.

teatrocolon.org.ar/en/content/guided-tours

Reply to: Uber, Teatro Colon, Montevideo, food/wine tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted