We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

barcelona
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

Hi, we are just about to book flights to BA arriving Saturday 13 April and departing on Easter Monday 22nd April. Will we find it difficult to get transport to the airport on Easter Monday? Are the prices a lot higher? Can you recommend places to visit for our 8 days there? We aren't into museums or monuments or shopping. We prefer being outdoors, culture, architecture, even getting out of the city if that's possible and there's time to go trekking and see some amazing scenery. That's if transport won't be a problem as don't want to spend hours in queues. And also should we take Euros? or do they only exchange dollars for a decent rate? Thanks for your recommendations everyone!

9 replies to this topic
Argentina
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
75 reviews
75 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

Yes, a usually a good time as weather is concerned.

The downside is that it is a week when lots of people go on vacations. You should expect higher rates (due to high demand) both in accomodation and travel within Argentina.

Taxis, and other means of transportation will be available on Easter Monday.

If you have Euros, no need to exchange them to US dollars. You will be able to exchange your Euros at the Banco Nación at the airport, which is open 24/7.

Edited: 8:07 am, March 14, 2019
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
513 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

Easter weekend is the most boring because everything is closed. The weather is “meh” during that time, starts to get a little cold but bearable enough to walk around

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

Architecture is always available!! walk the length of Av de Mayo between Congreso and Casa Rosada. Walk over to Puerto Madero, bike or walk in the Ecologica,

Go to San Telmo for the feria Sunday, it may be smaller, but I believe still happening.

Plaza San Martin is beautiful

Recoleta Cemetery is beautiful

True many things will be closed, but by no means everything! You don't have much time, so get out and walk!

Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
13,545 posts
4 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

I like that weekend since many people are at the beach and the city has a tranquil feel to it. Walking through the various neighborhoods and parks is my favorite things to do that day.

There are plenty of restaurants open; so not to worry and the large shopping centers are open if you need it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

Santa Semana (Holy Week) this yr April 14 to 20 is celebrated both in Spain and many Sth America countries

I arrived in Ayacucho (Peruvian Andes) to the most incredible celebrations

May be same in Argentina—-May pay to check

barcelona
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Has anyone been windsurfing in Tigre, San Isisdro? I have been told it's possible. How about an Estancia somewhere? Any recommendations? Flights are booked and we will be there for Easter!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
42 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

i spent Easter in Argentina 2 years ago and we had a wonderful experience. We attended a few religious type events in BA (even though I am not a Christian I still found them interesting) and I really appreciated having an Easter that was more community focused rather than a completely commercial holiday focused on selling and eating chocolate eggs. One thing to be aware of is that many, many people will be travelling so there may be delays with transport. We took a bus from BA to Tucuman from Retiro station in the middle of Easter and every bus left at least 5 hours late with little room to move while we waited.

barcelona
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

oh my goodness, that is such a good tip. Thank you so much. I was thinking of taking a bus to San Antonio de Areco for the Easter weekend. But perhaps I shouldn't bother!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
775 reviews
1,427 helpful votes
9. Re: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?

I totally agree with Ricardo and the others that say it's a good time to visit. The weather is usually really good as it's not yet cold (some days can get a little chilly but still nice). Spring and Fall are my favorite times in Buenos Aires.

The city is not as crowded and I consider that a good thing. It's NOT like Christmas and NYE where it's totally dead. All the restaurants will still be open. Same as places to shop. You'll have a great time.

Reply to: Is Easter a good time to travel around Buenos Aires?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted