We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uber vs. Radio taxis

Florida
Level Contributor
401 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
uber vs. Radio taxis

Was told yesterday Uber in BuAir

a. works differently than in US

b. is risky, can be attacked by angry cabbies

plan to use Subte supplemented by uber-taxi;

the latter more often if priced reasonable...

do both accept US credit card?

Any expert advice, comments appreciated.

15 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

I don't know about Uber being dangerous, but one problem you are likely to face is communicating with the driver, as not many speak English (generally the case in B.A.). So unless you are a confident Spanish speaker, you may have difficulties.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

Uber works fine and is cheaper than taxi/remise. The only issue might be using Uber from the Airport or cruise terminals where taxi drivers might be obnoxious to them. Otherwise no problem.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,422 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

How much difference is there in price ?

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

Uber works from your registered CC; taxis might accept CCs, but most will expect pesos.

As Ajulian writes above, Uber at the EZE Airport is not a good idea, but otherwise is less expensive (at least as of March 2017) and fine in the city.

Florida
Level Contributor
401 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

Thanks for responses!

Wife speaks Spanish. Me, a bit.

My cc is uber-registered in US, so does

that make it registered in BuAir???

Edited: 1:18 pm, October 15, 2017
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

We have used Uber a few times for the past week traveling in BA and the US registered credit card is fine. What we noticed the difference in Uber US vs here is that the license plate number of the uber driver is not always made known to us during pickup. Only the car model and name of driver with picture was shown. One time a restaurant waitress tried to point out ways to identify the license plate number for us in our app but ended up she couldn't either. In the more recent ride, we were able to see the last 3 digits, which certainly helps.

Los angeles
Level Contributor
207 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

I would only take radio taxis. Safety factor. And the taxis are all over.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

It is a non-sequitur to say that "safer" radio taxis are "all over." Radio taxis (taxis that participate in a call center) that are hailed from the street are no safer than any other street hailed cab. What makes radio taxis safer is that, if they are requested by phone, a record is made of the driver that picks one up. No phone call. No record. There is a small extra charge for calling in for a radio dispatched cab.

Uber is cheaper and safer than regular cabs especially for longer rides. A "remise" may also be superior to a radio cab. Remises charge purely by distance (no clock) and may be arranged in advance. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to advise whether an Uber car would be cheaper than a remise, but I believe it is and, of course, payment to Uber obviates the need for cash payment.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

Excellent summery and concise information, DavidD. I agree with your conclusions.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,579 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: uber vs. Radio taxis

Excellent thread as we plan our travels.

Reply to: uber vs. Radio taxis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted