We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Hi everyone

What's the best area to stay in Buenos Aires for a family with school-aged kids?

We will be in town for 4 nights but we'll only have 2.5 days to explore. This is our first visit and we'd like to see San Telmo, Casa Rosada/Plaza de Mayo, Recoleta Cemetery, Obelisco and all the classic first-time visitors' things. We will be back as we are planning another trip in a year or so, so we don't need to see everything.

So, ideally, we are looking for an area of town where we can go out for dinner - safe and with restaurants we can walk to. And from where it's easy to access the above sights.

We are considering both hotels and apartments, but we have read about people being charged IVA unless they pay with a foreign credit card. Has anyone had experience with renting an apartment and paying with credit card?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Sorry I meant VAT for the tax... ;-)

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

I think Recoleta or Palermo Soho would suit best; lots of restaurants and parks and, especially Recoleta, near to many sites and easy access to others. We have always paid rentals in cash...hotels by CC. But that is not necessarily the rule today. Home Away is a good Agency for apt. rental as is BA Habitat, Reynolds Propriedades, Oasis. Please post back if you have any further questions.

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Thanks Marniewdc!

How would you recommend moving around in the city? By subway, bus, cab... on foot? We like walking, but I am not sure how far apart the main sights are.

Is public transport safe? I am originally from Italy, so I know busses and subways are usually a great place for pickpocketers... I have seen quite a few in Milan and Rome. How's the situation in Buenos Aires?

Thanks!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

The safety in BsAs is not unlike being a tourist in Rome, better than Napoli.

We walk a lot and take buses (collectivos) and taxis with no problems (except that we avoid taxis waiting at transport stations and outside tourist venues - then we either walk a bit away and hail a taxi, have a Radio Taxi called for or take a Remis). We tend to avoid the subways just because we are there in high summer and it's not comfortable. Also, you can see the city from buses and taxis...especially when walking.

I recommend that you get a good map so that you can negotiate your visits to other barrios and sites - even restaurants. BsAs is a wonderful city to explore on foot or by those other means....there is also a Bike Tour available that your children might enjoy with you. There are Walking Tours that are excellent, free and give you a sense of the geography/locations.

BUENOS AIRES FREE TOURS:

(http://www.buenosairesfreetour.com

And, there are excellent FREE Walking Tours in Buenos Aires:

These are two Walking Tours daily. They work for TIPS ONLY.

The first tour begins at 11:00 AM and meets at the Congress (Meeting Point is posted on the right side of the fountain as you face the Congreso building) and tours the "Historic Center" area.

The second tour begins at 5:00 PM; this is "Aristocratic Buenos Aires"; it meets at San Martin Plaza and goes over to Recoletta.

Each tour lasts about 2 hours and is guided by "Portenos" who really know the city, the culture and it's history. This could give you a good overview and an opportunity to meet others and ask questions of the guides. I haven't been in about 2 years, so do check their Website before meeting at the above spots.

There is also an Open Bus Tour that I would only prefer if the weather were inclement.

Have a great trip. Please do stay in touch here.

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Thank you so much Marniewdc!

I will definitely check out the free tour website. It does sound very interesting! Thank you for the info!

I have emailed a few places in Buenos Aires and for now I got 3 places to choose from.... all quite different one from the other and all in different locations.

1. Mine Hotel Boutique in Palermo Soho (Gorriti 4770)

2. Poetry Building (apartments) in Recoleta (Calle Junin 1280)

3. Hilton in Puerto Madero (Av. Macacha Guemes 351)

The price difference is minimal for the 4 of us and I think all 3 options look nice. What would be the best connected and safest area?

I always hear people recommend la Recoleta (or some areas of Palermo), but I never saw anyone recommending Puerto Madero. Is there a reason for this? By looking at the map, it would seem quite centrally located and many places would be at a walkable distance. It also looks like there are quite a few restaurants in the area. Is it not safe? Or does it lack "character"?

Any suggestion on the best area would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS a million!

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Puerto Madero is very safe. It is not mentioned because it lacks soul or character. There simply isn’t the same sense of neighborhood found in more established neighborhoods.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires - where to stay?

Puerto Madero is a redeveloped docks area, like Canary Warf in the East End of London. It has been beautified and has modern hotels and apartments as well as offices, but it has a distinct 'corporate' character and can be rather soulless in the evening and at weekends. Better choice for those with business interest in the area, rather than tourists.

Reply to: Buenos Aires - where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted