We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

Which Yalikavak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

As travellers cheques are no longer easily accepted, we are not keen on having large amounts of cash with us so were thinking of using one of thse cash passports. (mastercard preepaid currency card). Are there plenty of ATM's which accept mastercardaround in Yali and has anybody ever used one. thanks

Derby, England
Level Contributor
372 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

I've used them in Australia and they where great just like using you normal bank card, Martin Lewis's web site does a good run down on which are best to get, I used the Thomas Cook one but I think there are better ones to get now.

north wales
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

I use the Caxton fx global traveller card and its been great. You load it with sterling and it can be used anywhere withdrawing the currency of the country your in. You get the daily rate and it doesnt charge atm fees.

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

I think this advice is maybe too late for you but was advised by Thomas Cook to not use these in Turkey . ladyinpink49

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

I got back from Yalikavak on Monday and we used the ATM's in town lots of times, no hassles at all.

There is a large bank next to the Mosque and there are also 3 mobile ATM's in the Dolmus station as well as down in the Marina next to the Migros supermarket which I also used.

There are also numerous bars in town that change money up hassle free, 3 Brothers on the beach being one we used, at a rate of 2.25 TL.

Hope this helps - I certainly would never have any issues using the ATM's there again.

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

I should say that was with my regular debit card and not a pre paid currency card.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

Again a bit late but may help others. I have used a Thomas Cook cash passport. No problems BUT I had to choose CREDIT and not CASH to withdraw the funds at the ATM. Confused me no end for a start as I could not work out why it wasn't responding. Do a dummy run before you leave to work out which selections are required.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

Having just returned from gumbet, a lady staying in our apts, had one of these, she got it from thomas cook, and the machine in Bodrum kept the card.

For 3 days she was frantic trying to find out how to get her card back, it cost her a fortune in calls to england, in the end her daughter went in to the thomas cook shop she bought it from, and refused to move until the sorted it out.

Thomas cook ended up sending money over via western union, and it was in euros, this took another 24 hours and the lady had to travel to bodrum to collect the money.

After seeing the upset and what this lady went throug, plus the thomas cook rep in resort said it was nothing to do with her, i would not advise anyone to get one to use in turkey.

can't speak for other countries.

8. Re: Anybody used the cash passport thingy!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 23, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Yalikavak