We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Liverpool...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Hi everyone, I've missed out on our family boat trip for the last eight years as I'm terrified of being sea-sick and ruining the day for everyone. The last time I was on a boat was twenty years ago - waiting on-board while my husband was scuba diving - and I was really sick, so I've avoided the experience ever since. The last couple of years my family and some friends have hired a small private boat (for around 12 people) from Fethiye or Chalis Beachand they absolutely love it, but this year I'm getting pressure from the kids to join them!

The thing is, although I really want to go, I'm also terrified that they'll have to turn the boat around and bring me back! The good thing is that there will only be my family on the trip this time around, so I don't need to worry about ruining anyone else's day, but it would be fantastic if I could go and not get sick at all!

So, I just wondered if any seasoned boat-trippers have any advice on the best travel-sickness tablets to try or any handy hints that might help me?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
ayrshire, scotland
Level Contributor
935 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

I just use boots own brand. ive found the best thing is not to go on boat till its pulling away lol. its the sitting waiting to go that makes me queasy then I don't recover. but the past couple of years using the boots tablets and waiting like a loon on the shore till they go works. also ive been told if you go in water and swim float about it evens up the inner ears and you feel better so always go for swim at first stop. and finally. they've always got bags (or take your own and just be sick you will feel better afterwards (I know not pleasant) if your not worrying about holding it in all day

Lancaster, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

I used Kwells this time and they seemed to work,but they dry your mouth for a few hours.Also keep your eyes on the horizon!it tricks your brain somehow into thinking your not swaying!

Liverpool...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Thanks for that, I've got Boots own brand which I think are the same as Sturgeron, good tip too about staying on the shore until the boat actually leaves - don't mind looking like a pillock :) I'll do my best to keep my eyes on the horizon too (hopefully I won't be too busy with my head in a bag!)

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Kwells. You can also get prescription patches that are meant to work well if you're going to be on the sea a long time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
930 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Hi, I used to work on board ships and wasn,t the best sailor. Crew were given cream crackers to eat, apple and told to go easy on fluid intake to stop it swilling about inside you. Take a Kwell or similar, have some cream crackers to nibble on. You can get packs with 2 or 3. In a pack, easy to carry several packs in bag. Goes without saying not to have a greasy meal before trip. Sit near to middle of boat if you can rather than near very front or aft. May be like a millpond and you will have a lovely day out and want to do it again. Enjoy your trip.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

MrsGormley, you should also try the travel wrist bands.

Also, I find that Pepto Bismal tablets are great if you do start to feel sickness, they have rescued me on a few boat trips and flights now.

north east england
Level Contributor
93 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Hi

I too have avoided boat trips following some very unsuccessful attempts over the years.

However, I have discovered that the travel sick bracelets really do work wonders (i put them to the test on a residential trip with 20 odd 9 year olds crossing the North Sea and had no problems whatsoever so they should work equally well for the calm seas around Olu Deniz) . I have booked a couple of boat trips for our next visit as missed out on them last time due to my lack of sea legs. The bracelets are available at Boots stores.

Liverpool...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Thank you everyone, some great tips there. Think I'll stock up on everything mentioned (we're gonna need a bigger boat!) and hope for the best - might even sit on a newspaper just to be on the safe side (I'm sure I've read somewhere that it helps!).

Thanks again :)

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

Fresh ginger really helps, and bear in mind the first warning sign of sea sickness is yawning.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,144 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best medication to prevent sea-sickness on boat trip please?

I would say some people are not good sailors... Even Lord Nelson was always sea sick. I have a friend who cannot even have a very smooth boat trip without feeling ill. If the sea is not for you, it's not the end of the world. Lots of sea sickness pills and remedies of course, but it sound like you are being pressured to do something you don't want to do and may not enjoy.

Why not try a short journey first to see how you feel and not commit to a whole day? Go to Fethiye have your Kwells and take the Water Taxi to Calis Beach. Leaves on the hour and half hour from the Address Cafe on the Marina at Fethiye. It takes 35 minutes. If this goes well, then you can decide on your longer trips.

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations